Author Topic: Of Changelings and Men  (Read 1326 times)

Whispered Words

• Young Wyrm
    • View Profile
Re: Of Changelings and Men
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2016, 12:47:14 AM »
When she awoke, she was happy to feel so weak that she didn?t even think she had the energy to crawl to get food. After a day and a half, she was forced to eat just enough to make the headache and nausea go away. If she thought she was in a continual state of pain before, nothing prepared her for the pain of that headache. She thought she was going to die from the pain, but it was taking too long in killing her. She went on like that for over a week, only eating when the pains became too great, hoping that eventually the body would waste away around her, like she had wasted away on the inside.

Corrim eyed her coldly. ?You obviously don?t have to, but right now I doubt you could take a noseless Caprezian by surprise.? The species had no eyes to see with, or olfactory membranes, having evolved to see on an entirely different spectrum. ?Let alone fend one off if you tried.? She looked as bad as she smelled, and not all of that was due to the unkempt hair and pallid features. She was going gaunt and hollow cheeked. It was only this that clued him into her true desires.

It was this weakened state that had him moving now. His size, coupled with the seeming age of the Cardassian belied his speed. Without so much as a warning he cleared the distance between them. His open hand clamped onto her throat, catching her up and pinning her against the wall.

?I get it Zora, you hate this life, you want it gone.? The words spilled from his mouth like poison from a snake?s bite. ?But I?m not going to let you kill yourself. I certainly didn?t save you so that you could die by your own hand. Not when my own will be much more satisfying.?

Slowly his fingertips tightened, a five pointed vice on her throat. He stepped into her, the muscles in arm and shoulder tightening as he lifted Zora from the floor, keeping her pinned to the bulkhead.

Shifting Eyes

• Young Wyrm
    • View Profile
Epilogue
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2016, 12:51:58 AM »
Adrenaline coursed through her veins and her heart was pumping furiously, but her weakened state left little to fight back with, even if she had wanted to. She stared at him blankly. The adrenaline gave her the strength to speak with a painful seriousness, even if she could only choke out the words from his grip. ?You should have left me there to be die.? With the terrorism she caused, she would certainly have been executed. She continued angrily, ?But kill me now. I?ve suffered in this body long enough.? She had been trying unsuccessfully to do it herself. It would be easier if he just did the work for her.

The bulkhead rang like a gong as Corrim pulled Zora slightly away, then as quickly banged her head against it. ?Believe me Zora darling, I want nothing more than to remember the woman that I thought I was saving. It would have been a much better memory that having to soil my hands with the pathetic thing before me now. There?s no help for it though? I have only myself to blame.? He was shuddering with anger, the vice of his hand closing tighter to cut off words and breath alike. He could feel her pulse beneath his hand struggling to pump precious oxygen to her brain. Still he held on to her, watching her like he no longer cared to have her in his sights.

The pain from the bulkhead made her head hurt worse than the hunger headache she had experienced before. Her head was ringing long after the bulkhead became silent, so much so, that she wasn?t even paying attention to his words. By the time he tightened his grip causing her to lose air, her limp arms lifted her hands to his at her throat, trying to pry his fingers away from her flesh. After attempting to kick at the ground, her feet lifted behind her, unsuccessfully trying to find something to stand on. She would have been hurt by the way he looked at her then, but when her eye met his, her eyes were only filled with panic.

She was weak, even when she?d begun to struggle, something he?d wanted to expect but could really only hope for. It would have been easy for Corrim to finish the job if she hadn?t struggled, because that would mean she was no longer Zora. She would have been a nameless creature, a thing to be pitied. ?Now? This is when you choose to fight? It?s too late Zora? much too late to realize that you?re alive, and that somewhere inside you wish to remain so.?

Whispered Words

• Young Wyrm
    • View Profile
Re: Of Changelings and Men
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2016, 12:52:51 AM »
Corrim?s hand tightened even more, then it disappeared altogether in a flash of reflex that had him letting go and turning away from her to let gravity take care of the rest. ?But, I?ve changed my mind. You?re no longer worthy to be destroyed by me. Look at you, a skeletal reflection of the woman I?? He didn?t finish, that would give too much away to her. ?Clean yourself up! Figure out how to bring back some small part of who you are. I?ll be more than happy to kill you, when there?s some challenge to it. If ever you have that in you again.? He didn?t bother to look at her, knowing that his own self-loathing for the things he was saying and doing would be evident on his face. ?Until then, we have work to do.?

After collapsing onto the floor, Zora gasped and coughed while rubbing her neck. Her head still pounding, she could do nothing but keep her head low. Pulling her arm away to look at it, she saw what he had meant. She was a shell of the woman that he had known, the being that she once was. But she was better than this. If the humanoids could sustain their limited lives in these defeated bodies, she should be able to thrive. She *would* thrive, as soon as she rested long enough to be able to get herself up.

Corrim?s glance over his shoulder was brief. Enough to ascertain that she was moving, if slowly. There was nothing more to say, to try would be to risk what had been accomplished. He couldn?t apologize, or show any kind of regret for treating Zora harshly.  His hand went to the door panel, and he thumbed the button to open it. He was barely able to keep his own shaking hand under control, a fact that had him give a derisive grunt. It was centered at himself, however it was perceived by Zora he wouldn?t know because he was out into the corridor before the thing had finished opening.