Author Topic: Beyond the Rim  (Read 3237 times)

Val

• Young Wyrm
    • View Profile
Re: Beyond the Rim
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2014, 01:10:04 AM »
Nazareth crept out of the smog. The ends of her sleeves and the cuffs her pants were burnt clean off, but she remained primarily conservative as usual. Her face was still and keen and it was not until a certain sister spoke that her face moved. Nazareth approached the cart and bent down. Cradling Pilot?s cheek, Nazareth?s slowly revolving eyes seemed to mimic the meter of the opponent silvers. She smiles. ?Oh. . Little Pilot. How long is has been.?

?Enough, Nazareth,? Val said sternly. ?Let?s just go. You want to come? Then we go now.?

?Let me catch up a moment. . ?

Pilot tilted her head, nobody had explained to her that she had been dead all this time. She smiled at Nazareth, but didn't offer much else aside from looking down to her hand and patting the spot she'd reserved for her big sister a little more urgently. "We go now."

?Well I don?t mind if I do,? Nazareth said pleasantly. She plants her rear onto the area of the car Pilot had reserved for her. Her dangling legs kick playfully like a child?s. ?Well come on now, brother. Your sisters want to go home.?

Nazareth?s coy behavior always drove the man sideways, but he wouldn?t argue; for once her scathing humor worked to his advantage; the quicker they left, the better. Starting the fully-loaded cart forward, Val asks, ?Just where are we going.?

Nazareth had yet to remove her eyes from Pilot. Her smile was large and wanting and her eyes seemed to turn faster all the time. A sign of emotion, and anyone close to Nazareth (save Agnus) would know that it was not happiness. ?Mm. . straight ahead, Valcroix. The rocks open up. You have the stone??

?Yeah.?

?Okay then. Look. Do you see it??

?Mm.. Mmhmm. Yep. So now what??

Nazareth hopped off the cart and offered Pilot her hand. ?Come now, sister---let us go home.?

Pilot took Nazareth's hand and stumbled into her. "Woah!" Legs, not quite there just yet... She clung tightly to the rangy woman and took in a deep breath. "Home?" She had to ask, because she didn't know. She thought that house was home. "Mother..?"

Val

• Young Wyrm
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2014, 01:11:59 AM »
Nazareth wrapped her right arm around Pilot?s waist, both sparing her a fall and easing her continued steps. ?Mother? Oh, why don?t worry yourself, Pilot. Mother will come see you very soon, I?m sure. She just needs to rest.?

Val, who was busy making Phoenix comfortable in his arms, was stolen by Nazareth?s promise. Eyes zeroed in on the back of the woman?s head and, showing off those sensitive senses, Nazareth turned right around and smiled.

?Coming, brother??

?Nazareth, I?m warning you. Don?t get any ideas here.?

Neth shows Val her back and continues, Pilot in her arms, towards the break in the rocks. Val stays close and fishes the stone out of his pocket. They were nearing the cave. Nazareth pauses, turns to the side and extends her free hand. ?Grab on. We have to be connected.?

Taking hold the best he could with both arms hooked under Phoenix, Val follows Nazareth?s lead. She enters the mouth of the cave and the four travelers slip through the rift.

Phoenix had been out and comfortable throughout the entire trip. However, this was Pilot's first time, she gripped into the fabric of Valcroix's borrowed cloak. She let out a light scream as they traveled through. "Ahhn!" The hand that snagged Nazareth's loosened as she collapsed to her knees, staring widely at the ground. Phoenix's little breathless gasps, rang out in light of the travel. Her chest heaved violently as she took short, stunted breaths.

Following their traversing of space, time and all those other physical impossibilities, Val himself followed the experience up with a long, hungry breath. Proof of the distortion of time, Val looked on at a forest lighted in mid-afternoon. It was a strange lag considering that they had only just escaped the biting cold of Gailey at midnight. But the color of life was welcome, those greens and blues, and Val vowed under his breath that he would never return to his homeland; not a single memory was worth saving, so let them all die he thought. Val took several cautious steps down the overgrown knoll, Phoenix still perfectly balanced in his wiry arms. He looks to Pilot. ?Pretty huh?? Give a girl a forest for the first time and await reaction; Val was practically itching for the girl?s response.

Nazareth snaps away from Pilot, probably with enough force to send her off-balance and starts away on quick feet.

?Hey---? Val started to beckon, but stayed his tongue intelligently. It was best for her to go. She and him just would never reconcile.

Pilot's knees met the ground with force, skin tearing and body quaking. She stared up at the forest and began to crawl off that way. "Oh.." Was the only sound that came from her lips as she scooted across the ground. She attempted to climb to her full height, but only collapsed seconds after like a toddler gaining her grounds.

Val would have scooped the girl up and into his arms, were their -arms- to give. Phoenix occupied them, and she was engaging Val?s eyes with sputtered, incomplete and clogged breaths. Pilot?s legs would return to her in time, but Val feared that time was almost up for Phoenix. He lays her near the bottom of the hill on a bed of old, brown dandelions that the winter had finally found. ?Hey. . come on, Phoenix.? He sticks his fingers between her neck and collar to seek a pulse; he didn?t know anything about Slane anatomy, but he figured that most of the bits and pieces worked just like any other sapien. ?Sh't. .?

Val

• Young Wyrm
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2014, 01:13:59 AM »
Phoenix shooked her head a few times slowly before jolting awake and gasping for air. Her silver eyes span rapidly, and she looked around as if she, too had come out of a long-time coma. They settled on Val, and softened as memories came flooding back. Pilot was pointing and carrying on like a child would, wanting to know all the words for everything she was seeing,

A warm smile for her awakening whether she wanted it or not (he?d wager on ?not?). ?Hey. . glad you?re still with us. Scared for a minute, you know. We need to get you into town; Martyr?s going to fix you up.? He hoped--Phoenix?s own blood was doing virtually nothing to silence her disease; he hoped it was just that her blood was dull, not a rejection from the will of her new body.

Phoenix shook her head, "I have places to be, and I don't want Martyr to know I had anything to do with any of this.. If she finds out, I swear on everything I'll eat your soul and leave nothing left for the scavengers..." This was all said in a single breath, and the hellion looked worse off for it.

?That so?? Val asked with a playful face. Despite her degenerated state, Val knew it to be unwise to pick on the beast, but also understood that keeping the mood as far away from the macabre as possible was important. ?You aren?t going to get very far like this. If you don?t want me to bring you home with me, then just tell me where you?re going. I won?t argue with you.?

"Honestly?" Phoenix said from his arms and stared up with a wide gaze. "...Probably to go somewhere and eat seven cheeseburgers and a large fry.." That was the god's-honest truth. Sorry, Valcroix, but Pilot might have disappeared. She hadn't gone far, but was now out of sight.

?Well that sounds awful--it?s go right to your thighs you know.? Was that Val with a fat joke? Yerp. Before noticing Pilot?s absence, Val pulled Phoenix off the ground and seated her in his arms again. ?Alright, then I?ll drop your ass off at the first greasepit we come acr---? Eyes widen. ?Hey! Pilot!? Val started off into the thicket, walking quickly with Phoenix in his arms. ?Hey! Where are you!??

"Aww, let her explore." Phoenix mumbled sarcastically as she came up and into his arms again. A soft sigh escaped her lips and she wrapped her arms around his shoulders. "I still ****ing hate you...but I'm glad your back. For Martyr's sake. She's different now, starting to change."

Still scouring the thicket for his sister, Val?s head wheeled to-and-fro. ?Heh. . hate me all you like, Phoenix. I?m not stupid, I am quite keen to the unforgivable. You have my apologies, you know that and I?m going to continue to work at it. If only for Martyr. But---change how??

Val

• Young Wyrm
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2014, 01:24:52 AM »
"She's lost hope? I mean, she still says that you're coming back, but, you can see that look in her eyes... She doesn't have the same look of wonder. Even with this baby, it just seems like she's dying inside... Funny, huh? She's dying inside, I'm dying out.. We really are two halves to the same whole.."

No sign of Pilot thus far, but he might have taken a wrong turn.

Her words were morbid and Val?s face reacted. A groan that flattens out to a sigh grumbles beneath sealed lips. ?I don?t have time for this,? he whispered. ?Damnit. . I need to be home like yesterday. Every minute I spend out here scouring this stupid forest is a minute wasted. Pilot! Pilot!?

After the second scream he'd hear Pilot's cry from a few feet away. Somehow, she managed to get herself stuck in a tree. "Val! Vallllllcroix!" The girl belted back and clung to the branch.

Phoenix stared up and scoffed something of sarcasm. "Get her down, drop me off, and Martyr is waiting for you at home. Judace lives with you now, and I think Agnus is there, Nazareth's daughter."

Looking up into the tree, Val was about half-way to the ground, per Phoenix?s command, when she spoke. He stands back up and squints. ?Wait, what! Judace? Nazareth?s. . ?? Another grumbled sigh, and Val?s head shakes. Setting Phoenix down, Val makes an agile leap and claws his way up. ?Pilot. . damnit. Here, reach for me, I?m strong enough to swing you down.?

"Judace picked up the slack when you were gone... Hell, I think he might have feelings for her." And since she was still Phoenix, she smiled. "I wouldn't be surprised if the baby turned out to be his." Instead of reaching for him, she dove for him. With arms that attempted to wrap around him and send them both to the ground, her full weight headed in his direction. Bunzai!

Without an alternative, Val opened his arms and let Pilot drive in. Upon collision, he closes his arms, securing her and takes the blunt of fall, careening for the ground back-first. When his spine hit the ground their landing bodies created a hollow thump, and Val winced but it was only reactionary. ?Sheesh,? he said, still lying, still ensnaring her. ?You and Martyr are going to be -best- friends. .?

"Martyr? Friend?" Pilot liked that idea. She wiggled out of his arms and moved over to Phoenix. "We go home?" Her voice was becoming less childlike, but her words were still lacking structure, which made her sound stupid..

Val

• Young Wyrm
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2014, 01:34:56 AM »
Thier trip into town was filled with the antics one could expect from a recently-revived girl in a city for the first time. So by the time the trio hit the main boulevard, Val was basically holding Pilot by the collar of the cloak to ensure that she could not run off into traffic or any other such disasters. Seeing a man in a medieval tunic with a battered woman in his arms and a wide-eyed, childlike blonde in a skimpy cloak would be strange anywhere else but here in Rhy?Din. So they avoided eyecontact for the most part. Treading into the parkinglot of a diner called ?The Firepit Cafe?, Val took a chance and let Pilot?s collar go so that he could let Phoenix down. ?You going to be okay?? he asked, angling her body letting her feet touch the ground first.

Phoenix stumbled forwards and waved him off. "I'm good." The immortal assured him, perhaps a touch impatient as she moved for the building.

Pilot stared in her direction and waved sadly. "Bye-bye Feeeenix." As then her distractions were back on. She saw a strange cat man, with cat ears and got all sorts of exited. "Oh, oh!" She attempted to run, but was gagged by the leash he'd created from her clothing.

Preventing Pilot?s advance with a firm grip, Val did not release Phoenix from his sight. He was turning to begin towards home when something leapt onto his face. ?Hey, Phoenix!? Val shouted, starting towards her with Pilot still in his hands. ?Wait a minute.?

Phoenix turned to face him and stared with wide eyes. What could be so important that food might be interupted. "What?" The girl snapped, taking a lean against the door frame and blocking anyone else that might want to come in.

Pilot was learning to say the least, trying to work her way out of the robe.

Taking a chance, Val released Pilot and walks up to Phoenix with his head down. Sweeping fangs of hair conceal his face, both hands dropped into his pockets. He stops squarely ahead of her, removes his right hand and extends it. Eyes lift and a smile lights. ?Hey---that picture. Here, it?s yours. It?s something to know that you carry it around. That isn?t to say that I?m doubting your feelings for Max and Martyr, but you didn?t clip my face out. Guess you just haven?t gotten around to it, huh??

Phoenix grabbed the picture, and smirked. "Didn't think to do it. But thanks, I'll keep it in mind." The immortal said, pocketing the photo. Then she looked over his shoulder. "Pilot's about to get into a car with that strange greasy looking cat-man." The girl said casually, and patted him on the shoulder.

Val didn?t wait around to combat her joke. Instead, sprinting to Pilot, he waved his right arm frantically as his goodbye to Phoenix. ?Hey!? the man howls coldly. At Pilot?s side, he wraps his arms around her to make sure her unmentionables were, well. . not being -mentioned-. ?Scatter, cat!? Val hollered. With Pilot in his grasp, Val turns to instruct direction. He leans into the girl?s ear. ?Come on. . you can?t go up to people you don?t know, alright? This place is just as, if not -more- dangerous than Gailey.?

But in the end, people were the same all over.