Author Topic: Hunting a Demon  (Read 2142 times)

Eris

• Young Wyrm
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2013, 03:46:27 AM »
Eris didn't have enough gas in the tank. That mortal body was already spent creating all those illusions.  Summoning the demon was sucking the very life out of the reserve.  She was Eris..she was the Goddess of Chaos on Olympus. But, she'd gave the majority of her abilities up to be here. To live this life that was so wonderful and magical and true. The opportunity to meet Brenton and become part of his life was more than she'd ever dreamed of wanting. Ambrosia was sweet. But, freedom to live as she wanted, to love who she wanted and to experience what it truly felt like to be loved back, as a person, not as a deity..there was nothing like it.

If she had to give it up for any reason, it would be so Brenton could live a long, healthy, happy life for the precious gifts he'd given her in the time they'd been together.

So she said what she had to say and did what she had to do to draw Miri.  To keep her focused on the prize. Eris pulled up the only ability she had left. Inviting that demon in. Realizing just before they were to collide that Zeus was not going to intervene. He'd let her die in vain trying to save a frail, human form. He'd show her just how foolish she had been by marring her name forever when she could not protect her own body from death by a demon. The Olympians do like their scandals.

His plan was thwarted just in time.

Rumor is life moves in slow motion just before you die. Eris now knew that was true. The demon was coming for her. She saw it, felt it..prepared for it. Knew there was no way she'd be able to capture and absorb the beast  into herself when her body was already so frail. The only thing left was accepting her fate, just as ever other mortal must do.

The next thing she realized was the feeling of being knocked out of  breath as Brenton grabbed and rolled her to the ground to shelter. It was all so surreal. The sound, the smell of burnt flesh, ash and sulfur. Her senses were already on overload and now felt ready to implode.  But she didn't..

From the ache in her shoulder due to the landing, she was still quite alive and well. Pain never felt so good. She was tired..so extremely tired; yet still living and breathing.

No voice could have sounded sweeter than Brenton's right then. Her lashes lifted, dark eyes focusing on his as a weak smile found it's way to her lips. "I'm good..I'm good. How are you?" Suddenly flooded with   wealth of human emotions. He knew she had trouble deal with those.  First she cried then she laughed and wrapped her arms around his neck to soak in the reality that she was sill here, still human. Not dead and not taken from him. "I need to rest.." That body was living and breathing; but, it was spent and needed to recoup.
"Be the type of woman that  when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"

Brenton OConnor

• Young Wyrm
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2013, 06:41:17 AM »
"It's alright," he answered, feeling his mouth break out into a wide grin. "We're both alright." He pulled Eris into a tight embrace, clenching her to his chest regardless of the internal pain that it brought. Looking over to the pile of dust that had just moments before been a demon, he watched as the silver dagger, too, simply crumbled into ash.

"Come on," he said, trying not to groan as he released her and got them both to their feet. Keeping her close to him, as if still warding off the fear that something might happen to make him lose her, he started them both for the rooftop door. "Let's get us back to your place. I think we both could use a shower and some rest."

"You know," he said, looking down at her as they made their way, "you did really well out there. You're a good partner." He planted a kiss to Eris' temple, smelling, despite everything else, the sweetness of her hair. He was one lucky bastard, that was for sure. He grinned against her skin.
"I think there's a bit of the devil in everybody. There's a bit of a priest in everybody, too, but I enjoyed playing the devil more. He was more fun." -Gabriel Byrne

Eris

• Young Wyrm
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2013, 02:43:16 PM »
His term for alright never had anything to do with how many bones were broken or holes were in his body.  Guess that meant he was alright since there was no complaining. Eris would be sure to check him out later. Away from this place and the demon residue.  "Are there any more exes with superhuman powers I should be ready for?" You know, just in case. Better to be prepared.  Placing a quick kiss on his cheek.

Her place was sounding pretty great about now. That massive, soft, plushy bed..a steaming hot shower..Katy bar the door and hide from the world and everything in it for awhile. "I can't argue with that." Be a slower trip back home than it was get here.

On a good day, she might have been able to snap her fingers and put them right inside the door of the apartment. Part of her didn't mind the walk. Not the part  which was so exhausted it was hard to move. It was complaining big time.  The rest of her had to agree with Brenton. They made a good team. "You did pretty good yourself." Smiling over at him.

Poor guy was beat up. Was easy to tell by his gait. Maybe Eris couldn't physically mend him; but, she could make a lot of those aches and pains go away for awhile. "When we get home, how would you feel about a nice, hot soak in the tub then a head to toe massage?" Which might lead to sleep or something else, depending on his mood.
"Be the type of woman that  when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"

Eris

• Young Wyrm
    • View Profile
The Quest
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2013, 03:58:15 PM »
Even with all the sweet promises of a good massage and roll in the hay, once back at her apartment, reality was a bitch. Brenton was broken in a few spots and Eris was completely wiped out. So much much so, she was out cold as soon as her head hit the pillow. She'd stay in a semi-comatose state for three days. Unresponsive. The only proof she lived was the slow rise and fall of her chest and warmth of her skin.

Brenton wouldn't be alone though. When were they ever truly alone? After a few short hours, the front door would open with the use of an illicitly gained key card. The 'intruder' could be heard rustling with paper bags, shoving things in the fridge, whistling and pressing buttons on the microwave which would soon fill the apartment with the smell of Chinese food. Sweet and sour chicken to be precise.

Hope Brent wasn't naked since Eros rarely bothered to announce his presence. An armful of orange roses entered the bedroom before he did, whistling up a storm as if nothing was amiss. "These are for the lovely lady. Her favorite you know. Help her feel better. I also have some dinner in there for you..she won't be needing any yet you see..but, when she does, I stocked the place with all her favorites."  Placing the flowers in a huge vase by the bed before taking a look at the patient. "Tsk, tsk, tsk..who'd have thought the Queen of Calamity could be put out of commission. Well, aside from when she believed you'd want nothing to do with her..you know, after finding how who she really was." Flopping in a chair by the window, shaking his head with a fond smirk on his face. "Ah, yes...that girl wanted nothing to do with anybody.  Poor dear.  Ate a whole gallon of rocky road ice cream with a few bottles of Jim Beam. I wouldn't think that combination went together; but.." Shrugging. "Not saying that to her. She was a grouch. Would have killed anything that moved. Even me! Now look at her..so tiny and fragile." Was he irritating the boyfriend? Probably. Just Cupid's way of showing he cared. "How're you doing? Anything broken? Need it fixed?"

The third wheel would only have to be endured for an hour or so before getting called back to Olympus. Wasn't suppose to be visiting her in the first place. Seems he rarely listened to the Big Man's rules. "Don't leave her alone." The warning was one of the few times Eros came across as serious. Dead serious. "Eris is vulnerable right now. Until her body mends, she's totally defenseless. If you have to leave, call out for me and I'll take over guard duty."  

By the time Eros returned to Olympus, Zeus was in the meeting hall with his wife for a heated discussion in how to handle their 'little problem'. As usual, he and Hera were on opposite sides of the fence.

"The man has to go! She can't become the happy housewife and ignore her duties any longer. He's a nuisance, like squirrels or pigeons, and this relationship has to stop. Eris belongs here. Period." Rattling the floor with the power of his fist slamming against the throne arm.

Hera sat at his side, seemingly bored and more than a little amused by his incessant rantings of late. "Oh poo. You're just mad he saved her and she didn't die. Thus, you're contract still stands. Besides, she's never ignored a request, even while on this little adventure.  I think you're worried she's found an equal. If any children occur from this pairing, you fear how powerful they will be." Eyeing her nails. Was time for a manicure. "Personally, I'd enjoy the pitter patter of little feet."

"EQUAL!" There was not a single soul in the vicinity who dare so much as breathe when Zeus lost his temper. He was losing it now. "There is no equal to us! He's a human.." Snarling out the last word in disgust. "The man is in no way deserving of the right to lay hands on one of my children, much less procreate with her."

"Technically, she's not your child..Eris is your creation. Big difference, love. And, from what I hear, he may not be fully human. I mean, the man has bested demons twice in defense of her. I don't think a mere human could do so barehanded." Bored with this argument, Hera rose to give her grumpy hubby a kiss on the cheek. "Why not test him? See if he's worthy? Three challenges should be a good indication of his ability and love for her..yes? Like the good old days. Put him through his paces. In the end, he gets the girl or you get rid of him."

He had to think on that a bit. Hated to admit his wife was right. She'd just given him the best way to kill off the pest. "As usual, you are the voice of reason and opportunity. I shall put this boy through his paces. If he fails...well, let's just say I won't have to worry about his interference again and.."

"and if he doesn't, you are never to try to do harm to him or interfere with their relationship again. The test starts when she awakens. That is my rule. If you break it, a few month as a jackass will seem like a heavenly vacation compared to what I will do to you. Do you have that in writing, Eros?" Yep, Hera was always prepared. The Messenger was also a great record keeper and around when needed for such a time as this.

"That I do, my lovely lady. He'll not be worming out of this one." The document was sealed with a wax stamp and magically dispersed to the archives for safe storage.

Eris

• Young Wyrm
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2013, 04:04:12 PM »
The boyfriend was, in fact, slightly annoyed, but only because this other man decidedly knew much more about Eris than he did. Having someone figuratively slap you in the face with the fact that you didn't quite know how to take care of the woman you loved as she lay, comatose, on her bed wasn't exactly what Brenton had wanted to hear right about then but, surprisingly, he swallowed that pill with grace.

He gave a few grunts for responses as Cupid rambled on, although he listened intently, tucking away tips and facts here in there for later use. When he was asked if he needed fixing, he simply waved a hand. Even though he looked worse for wear, he wasn?t entirely broken. He could fix himself, eventually, but that would mean heading back to his own place. But after Eros? determined warning, he decided that it would wait. Eris was much more important, after all, than a few broken ribs.

He was good at playing watchdog, having learned from the best of the best. Every now and then he?d check on her, touching her forehead and cheeks, feeling for that lingering warmth and the push of hot air as she breathed. He only left her side to get something to eat, and only once for more than three minutes to take a scalding hot shower. Otherwise, he remained slumped in an armchair nearby, watching and waiting.

Brenton shouldn't let any of the nosy biddies get to him too much. They'd known Eris for more years than most people could count. Despite that, she preferred his presence more than that of her so called 'family'.  Had she been awake, Mr. Cupid would have been plucked, stuffed in the oven and baked to a crisp for the intrusion. He would not be the only intruder today.

Just after dusk of the third night, the entire apartment would fall into darkness. So pitch black was the room, eyes would not even begin to adjust to the change. Heavy footfalls fell hard against the tile floor, softening as they traversed onto the carpeted bedroom. "Brenton, you've been summoned to Olympus by Zeus, himself. I need you to return with me now or risk her death." The man behind the voice did not believe Eris chosen would be so foolish as to jump at the first threat of her harm. With no knowledge of who was doing to talking or why the request was even made, t'would be quite foolish to do so. Still, more people than not did just that. Running right to their deaths. He'd wait just the same.

If, as the dark stranger assumed, Brenton refused, the lights would come on and he'd find the massive form of Ares standing there decked out in black leather pants, boots and vest which allowed the massive, rippling of muscles to be seen. His hair was jet black, just like Eris..those eyes were obsidian as night, just like Eris and he could be quite menacing when pushed..just like Eris.  She may seem more fragile, especially now; but, the two were of the same parents and same creative juices. Neither was particularly fond of how Zeus treated them as his own personal pawns. Explained why Brenton would get an offer which might be hard to refuse.

"That shouldn't be happening." pointing to the comatose Eris. "I can help undo it. But, you're going to have to trust me and go along with the big guy's dastardly plan for you. Three quests..all deadly. He plans to skewer you, scorch you or have one of his special beasties digest you..so Persephone tells me." Rolling his shoulders. "Girl doesn't make it a habit to lie.  Can't promise you won't turn into another Atlas stuck forever in limbo either. Zeus' contract with Hera says if you win, there will be smooth sailing for a good long while. You lose..well, you won't be around to worry over it, let's just say that." Giving Brenton a moment to digest what he's learned thus far.

"Eris will be taken to Hades and under Hephaestus protection. She'll be safe there. Here are the rules.  Each challenge you win draws strength back to her. Each challenge you lose brings her closer to death. You can bring no weapons into Olympus."  Getting a very familiar, devilish smile on his lips. "You'll arrive in her temple. Move the bed, flip back the rug and rap three times on the eagle medallion beneath. The floor will open, inside you will find a signet ring, a shield, a cloak and a purple vial. All gifts from those who would see you defeat Zeus. You will understand their use in time."  Extending his hand. "My sister has deemed you worthy of her affection. Makes you the same as a brother to me. I swear on my own life to stand by you and protect you when I can. When you are ready, place the ring on your finger.  Your journey will begin."

If he was trusting enough of Ares to follow those directions, the instant the ring was in place, Brenton would  find himself in Eris bedchambers within her temple. As Ares said, she would be moved to Hades. When the items were found, he could gather them and head out of the temple where a crowd awaited anxiously for the challenge to begin. No question they were all assessing the abilities of this mere mortal man. Placing a few bets on how long he'd survive the trials as well.

"This." Pausing for effect. "This is what Eris deems worthy." The booming voice of Zeus rang out, silencing the crowd. Clucking his tongue in disgust. "Please, my youngest, infant daughter could rip you in half. You have one chance to tuck your tail and run back home to Mommy while you can. If not, you won't survive the night. Human or not, I won't give any mercy to someone who's been a pain in my ass for far too long."

Eris

• Young Wyrm
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2013, 04:13:20 PM »
Brenton listened to the God of War carefully, all the while remaining seated, staring up at him. It wasn?t until he gave him a moment to think that he looked to Eris, tucked warmly into her bed by his hand, oblivious to the rest of the world. He didn?t like the thought of leaving her - Eros had warned him not to leave her alone. But Ares didn?t seem like the type of man, or god, that would want Eris put into harm?s way. Despite his lack of being mortal, Ares had an air of honesty about him, and maybe even compassion for the star-crossed lovers.

It took a little while but, eventually, Brenton agreed to the terms. ?You?re sure she?ll be safe there?? he asked of Ares as he stood. He didn?t know much about the worlds of the gods, and little more of their patrons, but he figured it couldn?t hurt asking, just to make sure. Again, he looked to the slumbering demi-goddess. ?I?m the one that put her in this state,? he said, mostly to himself. He wanted to move over to her, to brush her hair away from her face. He stayed put.

?I?ll do whatever it takes,? he said, looking back to her brother. It was only then that he wished he had taken the time to go back to his apartment, to fix his broken bones.

But there was no time for that. For the second time in his lifetime, the Irishman was standing on the crest of Olympus. He didn?t hesitate in finding the stash Ares spoke of and as he threw the cloak over his shoulders he couldn?t help but feel like Perseus in that movie he had seen once, 'Clash of the Titans'. With the vial tucked into a pocket and the signet ring on his finger, an odd mirror to the other one he always wore, he felt more and more like a gladiator as he slipped his arm into the shield strap.

Stepping out into the view of the crowd, he didn?t lower his head in fear or shame. ?I wouldn?t ask mercy from someone like you,? he responded loudly, enough so that all gathered could hear. His grip tightened on the handle of the shield, his jaw setting firm. ?Let?s get this started.?

Brenton would soon learn there were several branches within the great family of Olympus.  Some stood firm with Zeus, others..those consider of 'darker' spirits, lay their allegiance more towards Ares. Lastly, like Cupid boy, some preferred the precarious line right smack in the middle of the road. Trying not to sway too far left or too far right for too long.  Trusting anyone fully could be a fool's game. But what side Brenton chose to stay on would all be up to him and how well he could wade through the waters of treachery and deceit.

"I swear on her life and your own, that she will be safe." Didn't that land like an anchor over their heads? "But my bet is on you, kid." Clicking his tongue while moving towards his sister. "Funny, she usually snores when asleep. Ever notice that?" A light smile coming to his lips while a gentle thumb brushed some hair from her face as he leaned over that all too peaceful form. Heph will protect her. Zeus, even on his strongest surge of testosterone, will not set foot in the Iron God's lair. For too many souls will try to drag him to hell where he condemned them." Lowering to whisper into her ear. "..aah, sister..what a tangled web, yes? Have you up and back to normal in no time old girl" Laughing on the way back up. "She'll bitch slap me for that later."

As to his comment of fault, Ares could only shake his head. "You are as much to blame for this as the sun is for the snow. Perhaps connected, but in no way at fault." Laying a firm hand to Brenton's shoulder. "You make her happy. Happiness balances out Chaos.  Much like a scale leaning too much on one side, the whole thing gets out of whack..so to, does she. Oh sure, she plays up the dark side for all it's worth simply for the fun; but, tis only the light side that keeps the equilibrium in check. I've seen her go full on because of Zeus' deranged commands. Hell man..she can be a portal to hell."  Heading back to Ares, pulling the sheet completely over her head. "..or heaven hmmm?" Casting a cheeky grin. "Many a man wants to know the kind of heaven; but, she shares it only with you."

?I?ll do whatever it takes."  

"Would you die for her? Ask yourself that before you go."

The God of War already knew what his answer would be. The fun was about to begin.

Zeus and his hoard awaited. If the God was surprised by Brenton's defiant demeanor, it did not show. Only the sour glare managed to wrinkle it's way across his brow. The mortal did look like a warrior. Pissing the great one off even further. For those types often proved to be read pains in the ass.  

"I wouldn't give mercy to someone like one." was his booming retort.

"When you piss your pants, I will hang them from the highest peak that all may know."

The little piss ants challenge managed to draw some approving grunts from one side of the arena to indicate where Brenton's cheering section lay.  

"Did you kiss your mother goodbye? I don't expect you'll be seeing her again..nor Eris.  Be sure it's worth it. You know what she's doing right now?" Waving his hand in the air where the reflection of a mirror appeared. Lo and behold, there was Eris in the buff astride a buff young man like a cowboy rides a horse. From the sounds of it, they were having a wonderful time. Cat calls and laughter filled the air from the growing fans assembling. "Go home while you can. Get a nice woman to fill your seed and be happy.  My daughter has clearly forgotten you already. But, if you're truly that stupid. Head for the Mount." Pointing to the tallest peak in mountain range. Your first challenge somewhere along the path.  See if you can survive."

With the tap of his staff against the marble floor, Brenton would find himself free falling as the temperature plummets.  He'd land knee deep in snow, staring up at a frozen rock mountain with steep boulders and cliffs which vanish high into the sky.  Frigid winds could blow him off at any time and any thing could leap out to challenge him before he even reached the first true test.

Brenton OConnor

• Young Wyrm
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2013, 03:30:10 PM »
He had learned during his first visit to the gods? mountain that you couldn?t always trust what you saw - and Brenton took that well-learned lesson to heart as he watched the display of Eris romping with some young, muscled man. Sure, his teeth gritted and his jaw clenched, but he didn?t let it sink in as truth. Again, he knew he couldn?t always trust what he saw, especially when it came to this array of gods. Zeus was, most definitely, no exception.

He didn?t reply to any of the major god?s comments - it would have been exactly what he wanted and Brenton was steadfast in giving him as little of that as possible. He glanced to his evident ?cheering side? and gave a single-stroke nod, the sternness in his face akin to a warrior king determined to win any and all of the oncoming battles, no matter the cost. The prize was worth everything to him, even if it meant his death. His family wouldn?t appreciate it, and his thoughts slipped briefly to them, but he also knew that they would understand - if one doesn?t fight for love, what is truly there to fight for?

Looking back to the God King, he clenched his shield, feeling the bite of the signet ring at the base of his knuckle. It made him wish again that he had been given time to visit his apartment, to mend himself as best as he could instead of striding off toward whatever twisted fate Zeus had in store for him with more than a few cracked ribs and whatever else might ail him. But he would endure. It was what he always did.

It took him a moment to realize that he was falling but, once he did, he braced himself for the inevitable landing. Landing with a grunt and a thud in the knee-deep snow, he took the time as he straightened to look around, gathering his surroundings and thoughts before turning his attention to the highest peek of the towering mountain. Steeling himself, he began the long trek, shield tight in one hand while the other wished desperately that it hand a blade hilt within it.
"I think there's a bit of the devil in everybody. There's a bit of a priest in everybody, too, but I enjoyed playing the devil more. He was more fun." -Gabriel Byrne

Eris

• Young Wyrm
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2013, 08:13:37 AM »
By the time Brenton was sent to the mountain, Eris was awake in the depths of Hades and fit to be tied. "Are you ****ing kidding me? That mountain is dangerous enough without Zeus in control of it!"

"Now, now, now.." Hephaestus help up both hands in his own defense. "Your boy, he's strong..he's smart, he's got your brother's assistance. So long as Brenton figures out which gifts to use as which time, everything should be fine. You want to know if he's worthy, right?"

"He's already proven himself worthy to me!" Ready to strangle somebody. Anybody! It was not fair to keep her trapped in here while there were Gods up there systematically trying to kill the one person she cared about in the universe.

Heff took a couple of steps back, shook his head and poured two glasses of wine. "The challenge was accepted, Eris. Brenton chose to go by putting on that ring. He's doing this for you.  By interfering, you'll break the contract Hera so skillfully weaved together to allow the two of you a chance to be together with no further interference." Sipping his drink. "You can't help him.  But.." Arching a brow. "Others are planning to. Trust in us."

Her lips pursed. Wanting to argue further; but, holding back.  Instead, she'd ask for one favor. "He was injured defending me before we were thrown in this..this..challenge."  Having to spit out the word. "That's not a fair way to start a quest. Heal him. If he has to face all these dangers, he should be at full capacity."

"I'll send word to Ares. It will be done."

_____

As Brenton neared the top of the mountain, the ferocity of the wind howled all around him as if trying to shove him from the icy edge.  Nothing by the elements challenged his progress. About 80 feet from the peek, a cave appeared offering shelter from the raging storm.  Inside, it was calm, quiet and oddly warm.  Seems he'd get a break to gather his strength.

As time passed, there'd come the sound of something dragging along the stone floors, scrapping against the walls..the methodical clicking of steps at a heavy, even pace.  The closer the sounds became, the warmer the cave.  It appears the 'hottest' prediction was about to come true.

The great beast  paused, sniffed at the air then inhaled. Was the exhale Brenton should be ready for. Quest number one had began and it was a scorcher.