Author Topic: Enforced Idleness  (Read 352 times)

Olivia Storm

• Old Wyrm
    • View Profile
Enforced Idleness
« on: April 11, 2012, 09:10:17 AM »
[size=9]((If anyone would like to visit Liv while she's in hospital, you're welcome to add onto this thread. If you'd rather RP a scene, just PM me and we can sort something out.))[/size]

"... and you did call Lelah and tell her what happened, didn't you? She'll be furious if I'm not there and she doesn't know why -"

Lucy rolled her eyes, holding up a hand to still her sister's list of things that needed to be done and people that needed to be spoken to. Despite the painful roughness of her voice, Liv had been talking almost non-stop since she'd woken up, filled with worries about other people. She was the one who'd been hospitalised, for goodness sake!

"Liv, seriously, I wouldn't do that to you," Lucy assured her twin from where she was curled up on the end of the bed. "I rang the studio first thing, left a message to let them know what's happened and how long you're going to need off work."

"I only need eight days," Liv said quickly, drawing her knees up to her chest under the blanket. "Seven days of treatment here, and then one to get sorted, and I can go back -"

"Not a chance," her sister said firmly. "Seriously, you are taking a full week off when you get out of here, and I will enforce that. Don't make me call Johnny and get him to babysit you so you can't use a phone for seven days and nights."

"You wouldn't," Liv ventured, ever so slightly mortified by the thought of that threat. She had vague memories of getting a little too close to her metahuman rescuer last night, and was incredibly embarrassed by how needy she'd been in demanding that he stay with her. After all that work to hide how she felt about him, all it took was one measley near-death experience, and she practically gushed.

"Try me."

There was a pause as the twins held one another's gaze, each testing the will of the other. To Lucy's surprise, Liv gave in first, sighing and shaking her head.

"Fine," she conceded. "But that doesn't change the fact that I don't have anywhere to go after I get out of here."

"I'm working on that," Lucy promised her. "You've got enough money laid by to put a new deposit down on a studio and with the insurance money for the contents of the apartment you'll be able to furnish it. I'll go looking for an apartment later today when Johnny swings by."

It never occurred to Lucy that Johnny wouldn't be back. They'd sat together for a couple of hours, the three of them, until Lucy had had to give in and find somewhere to crash for a few hours herself. When she'd woken up, she'd showered, changed, and gone shopping, buying a couple of changes of clothes for herself and an armful of shorts and tanks for Liv to wear while she was convalescing. Then, when she had returned to the hospital, Johnny had taken his leave while Liv was still asleep, obviously needing his own bed. Things were going to be awkward there until they'd had a good chance to talk, but at least he'd been there when Liv had needed him. Lucy didn't want to consider what might have happened if the Human Torch hadn't gone Superman on her Lois Lane of a sister last night.

"What about -"

"Me?" Lucy smiled, shrugging lightly at her sister's concerned look. "I can shack up with Rick for a few nights until my application for hospital accomodation goes through. They'll prioritise me because of the smoking rubble that is your apartment, too." She crawled forward, careful of Liv's bandaged legs as she curled up next to her sister, hugging warmly. "Everything's in hand, Livvie," she promised. "You just have to get better, that's all."

"I hate being sick," Liv muttered, cuddling into her twin's arms with a soft cough or seven. She was going to be stuck being coddled for a while, it seemed.
[size=9:184a99ac32][color=darkblue:184a99ac32][i:184a99ac32][b:184a99ac32]I want you to be everything that's you, deep at the center of your being.[/b:184a99ac32][/i:184a99ac32][/color:184a99ac32][/size:184a99ac32]

Olivia Storm

• Old Wyrm
    • View Profile
Re: Enforced Idleness
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 05:53:08 AM »
Liv was bored. Deeply, monotonously, mind-numbingly bored. Lucy had been a constant presence for most of the day, but had been tossed out when the afternoon visiting hours ended, leaving Liv with nothing to distract her from the mindless nothingness of the hospital's routine. She'd already read her magazines, and between the rasp of her chest and the itch underneath the sparse bandages on her legs, she wasn't the most comfortable person in the world. Hospital food was notoriously unpleasant, and unfortunately Rhy'Din General was no different, making dinner a minefield to pick through rather than enjoy.

It didn't help that she was alone in her room, as well. The bed opposite hers was empty, meaning she didn't even have a stranger to make polite conversation with. She was trapped in a cycle of dependance upon her sister and Johnny - she smiled to herself sweetly at the thought of her rescuer - to keep her from going mad at the regular inhalation therapies and medication rounds and dehumanising, patronising nurses who seemed to think she was about six years old.

At least she wasn't wearing that appalling paper gown anymore, though. Lucy's quick shopping trip had provided her with a few things more human to wear, and as the ward doors were opened for the evening visitors, Liv was settled crossed-legged on top of her blankets flipping listlessly through a magazine for the umpteenth time, arms and legs left bare by the soft tank and shorts her sister had bought for her.

Johnny had stayed at Liv's side, just as he'd promised, until the nurses had finally kicked him out, telling him to go home. He looked a mess himself and he was exhausted. Once Liv drifted off to sleep, he started having trouble staying awake himself. He and Lucy had made a little small talk, but things felt awkward between and the conversation quickly dwindled, settling into an uncomfortable silence. He took turns with Lucy holding Liv's hand, trying to stay awake, until he couldn't stay awake anymore. Without his bike to take him home, he'd taken to the sky, but flying had only exhausted him further. He'd managed to catch a few hours sleep before he was supposed to show up for his first show at the Wonderplex, but apparently the news feed was ahead of him, and he'd received a call telling him to take the day off.

It was just as well. Though he might be a metahuman, he still needed as much rest as anyone else, and he was simply too exhausted to do the stunts without risking his own and the crowd's safety. He'd spent the rest of the day in bed, letting the Avengers fly patrols without him. Now, hours later, after a good day's sleep and a shower, he was feeling mostly refreshed and revived. He still wasn't too sure if it was a good idea for him to visit Olivia, but a promise was a promise.

The door to her hospital room had been left open deliberately, giving Liv a clear view to the main doors of the ward itself past the nurses' station. Despite knowing that Lucy wasn't coming back this evening, and not really letting herself hope that Johnny would visit, she couldn't help glancing up every now and then, feeling quietly resentful of the other patients whose visitors hurried through. A heavy sigh escaped her lips as she rolled her shoulder, shifting to lie on her front with her feet resting against her pillows, so that she didn't have a clear view of that door unless she actually turned to look.

Johnny tried to sneak in past the hospital staff, past the nurses, but the story of last night's rescue had hit the news and as soon as he walked in the door, heads turned his way, followed by whispers. He cleared his throat as he strolled down the hallway. He was used to the attention back home, but this was Rhy'Din, and he was hoping for a quiet visit with Liv, not a media fest. He cleared his throat as he strolled down the hallway, dressed in his civies and carrying a satchel, tossing a smile and a wave to the nurses on duty. "Evening, ladies!"

That patented Johnny Storm smile had an interesting effect on the female nurses. At least three of the five on duty blushed, all of them smiling brightly over to him in the hope that he might somehow forget why he was there and stop to talk to them.

Hearing the voice she'd been pretending not to be hoping to hear, Liv twisted, rolling onto her side with an uncalculated smile of genuine delight on seeing Johnny wander onto the ward. Her brown eyes, bright behind her glasses, lingered on him as the nurses simpered and called his name, taking in every detail of his appearance with a slight obsessiveness which should have alarmed her.

Under other circumstances, those nurses might have gotten their wish, but not so tonight. Johnny had other more important plans. He merely waved and smiled, just like he had back home, repressing any urge to flirt with them, at least for now. That bad habit had gotten him into trouble with one Broderick twin and he didn't want a repeat performance of Lucy's ire, though it wasn't really Lucy he was worried about at the moment.

Upon reaching Liv's door, which was open, he stuck just his head in, a smile on his face. "Surprise! Mind if I come in?"
[size=9:184a99ac32][color=darkblue:184a99ac32][i:184a99ac32][b:184a99ac32]I want you to be everything that's you, deep at the center of your being.[/b:184a99ac32][/i:184a99ac32][/color:184a99ac32][/size:184a99ac32]

Olivia Storm

• Old Wyrm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 05:58:13 AM »
"No, of course, please do!" The voice that had been painfully rasping and hoarse in the early hours had cleared remarkably over the day, until now only a faint gravel undertone hinted at the damage done to her throat and lungs during the fire. Liv pulled herself up from where she lay, not even wincing at the press of burned flesh against the inside of her bandages as she rose onto her knees. "How are you? You weren't hurt last night, were you? Did you get some sleep?"

"Relax, Liv. I'm fine," he answered as he stepped into the room, not a scratch on him as far as she could see. He'd cleaned up well since the previous night and had even - gasp - shaved. Dressed in a blue check shirt layered over a plain white tshirt, jeans, and sneakers, it looked like he might have even skipped the uniform tonight, preferring to go completely civilian. Or maybe his uniform just needed a really good cleaning. He really had to have more than one made and had often wondered if Superman had an entire closet full of spadex and capes.

He set the sack down on a table before making his way over to her and leaning over to press a kiss against her forehead. "How are you? They taking good care of you in here?"

That affectionate brush of his lips to her temple seemed to light her up from the inside, her smile delighted and at the same time touched with the sweet shyness that hung around her whenever he was close by. She dropped down onto her backside, patting the bed in invitation for him to sit with her.

"I'm so bored," she told him, the habit toward absolute honesty incredibly difficult to break. "But I'm glad you're here, I've been worried about you." Gathering her courage, she lurched forward to drop a quick kiss of her own against his smooth cheek, biting her lip to hide the grin that rose at her own daring.

He smiled affectionately at the kiss, thinking her sweet, as always. No blush rose to his cheeks, however, as he was not usually the blushing type. "Worried about me? Why?" Instead of settling himself on the bed, he turned to snag the sack from the table, darting a furtive glance at the hallway. "They don't have you on a special diet, do they?"

Liv stared at him for a moment. "Um, no, no diet," she told him absently, glancing to the door herself before focusing on the first part of his question. "Johnny, you walked through a wall of fire. You flew through a burning ceiling that had just fallen on top of you. And you looked exhausted when you left this morning. Why wouldn't I be worried?" A slightly disbelieving laugh escaped her lips. "Just because you're a superhero doesn't mean I'm not going to care whether you've hurt yourself."

He arched a brow as he turned back to her, a little surprised at her concern. She was, perhaps, the first person who seemed to care about him since his arrival here. Oh, sure, Lucy cared in her own way, but it was different with Liv, and he had a few friends, but no one who had openly said they were worried about him.

"It's not really a big deal, Liv," he insisted, trying to downplay what he'd done. All in a day's work, after all. "I'm pretty resilient." Although not indestructible, that was a bit of an understatement. "Do you like Chinese?" he asked, changing the subject and holding up the sack, from which was wafting the unmistakable smell of food.

"You're a hero, and I didn't even manage to save your shirt from being tossed out as garbage this morning," Liv argued, but it wasn't so much an argument as a surprisingly comfortable debate between two people who were more at ease with one another than they really should be. "I will replace that, by the way." His change of subject, however, was masterful. No sooner had the scent of the food wafted to her nose than Liv began to bounce happily on the bed. "Oh my God, I think I love you," she declared without thinking, throwing her arms around Johnny's neck in an effusive display of grateful pleasure at his offering.

He blinked, once again surprised at her concern, this time about his shirt. "You're worried about my shirt?" He couldn't help but chuckle, unable to resist teasing her a little, smirking. "It looked pretty good on you." He chuckled again at her enthusiastic exuberance - not to mention the hug - letting her hug him for a moment before pulling himself away to reach into the sack, pulling out various cartons of Chinese delicacies, and two pairs of chopsticks. "Ta da! I know, I'm awesome." He grinned happily and just a little bit smugly.

She blushed brilliantly at his allusion to her attire of the night before, giggling softly as she settled at his side once again. "You are, very awesome," she agreed with a nod, holding the pause a little longer than was natural before venturing to tease him back. "I look at you and all I want to do is go awwww."

He smiled back, a little embarrassed by her praise, but again not enough for him to blush. "Is that a good aw or a bad aw?" He popped open both cartons and set them on the table, handing her a pair of chopsticks. "You know how to use these?" He could have brought plastic forks, but half the fun of eating Chinese was fumbling with the chopsticks.

"That depends on whether you consider your cuteness to be a good thing or a bad thing."

Liv wasn't usually so forward when it came to talking with Johnny. But then, there were several circumstances in her favor today - Lucy wasn't there, and wasn't likely to walk in on them; he'd saved her life the night before, and that did make being shy a little superfluous; and Liv desperately wanted Johnny to stay this time. So she'd somehow managed to swallow the reserved side of herself in the hope that he'd want to stay and get to know her this time around.

Her fingers curled around the chopsticks, the wary cast of her smile all the answer he needed. "I know the theory?" she offered, making a joke of her wariness as she pulled a face.

Olivia Storm

• Old Wyrm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 06:02:20 AM »
"It's always worked in my favor," he answered, that small smirk still on his face, reaching over to help her with the chopsticks, his fingers covering hers and adjusting her grip on them. "It takes practice, but it's pretty easy once you get used to them." He guided her hand toward one of the takeout cartons, helping her get some noodles onto the chopsticks. "Ever been to Chinatown?" he asked, his eyes on the carton of Chinese and their linked hands.

She didn't comment further on his attractiveness, simply offering him a smile as he took control of her hand. Her soft eyes turned to watch as the chopsticks were arranged in her fingertips and loaded with noodles. "There's a Chinatown in Rhy'Din?" she asked in surprise, trying very hard not to be completely distracted by the stimulating heat of his larger hand wrapped about her own.

He laughed again. It seemed to be getting easier to laugh in her presence than before, for some reason. Maybe it was because he wasn't worried about Lucy walking in the door at any minute and catching him doing something he shouldn't be. "No, silly. In New York. Have you ever been to New York?" He guided the chopsticks loaded with noodles to her mouth, slowly and carefully so as not to lose any into her lap.

Liv opened her mouth to reply and ended up with a mouthful of noodles instead. The indignant flicker in her eyes was comical as she chewed, scrunching her nose in Johnny's direction in a fond grimace at his perfectly timed piece of feeding. Swallowing her mouthful, she stuck her tongue out at him. "No, I've never been to New York," she admitted with a quiet chuckle, turning her head away and coughing lightly for a moment before looking back at him. "Should I have?"

He chuckled again at the comical look on her face, followed by her tongue. His smile quickly faded when she turned her head away from him to cough, remembering that she'd just been through a traumatic and life-threatening experience and worrying that the noodles had been too much for her. "Are you okay? Should I get a nurse?" he asked, lowering the chopsticks, obviously concerned.

His concern brought that familiar softness to her gaze as her lips curved into a gently understanding smile. "No, I'm fine, really," she assured him, her free hand lifting to cover his where it still lay wrapped around her own. "I'm going to cough, Johnny, I breathed in a lot of smoke. But it doesn't mean I'm going to suddenly turn blue and develop rigor. You wait, I'll be back to my normal self before the end of the week." She squeezed his hand, leaning close to touch her cheek to his shoulder reassuringly.

"I don't really know what your normal self is," he remarked awkwardly, eyes sliding to where she was leaning against his shoulder. "I mean... We hardly know each other." He turned his gaze back to the cartons of food, guiding her hand to gather up another scoopful of noodles.

She followed his gaze to where she leaned, a faint flush decorating her cheeks once again as she drew back. "Sorry," she murmured, feeling a flash of resentment toward her sister for being the one Johnny wanted before she managed to clamp down on it. Her eyes flickered to his as he guided her hand once again. "I'd like to know you," she offered in a soft voice, the food forgotten for the time being.

His gaze flickered back toward hers at her apology, a small frown on his face. "What are you sorry for?" He relaxed his hand, also forgetting the food for the moment. "You don't have anything to apologize for, Liv. I'm the one who should be apologizing."

"Well, for ..." She hesitated, forcing herself to produce an honest explanation of her apology. "You're obviously not comfortable with me being so ... so close," she tried again. "I'm sorry, I just ... I'm so comfortable with you, I didn't think. And you really don't have anything to apologise for. You saved my life, Johnny. I can't ever repay you for that."

He sighed and set the chopsticks down, pulling his hand away and turning to look at her, really look at her. If she was going to confess, so was he. "You've got it all wrong, Liv, and you don't owe me anything. The truth is..." He frowned a little, suddenly looking as nervous as a boy on his first real date. "I like you, and... I don't want to make things hard for you and Lucy."

"You won't." Alright, so she didn't know that for certain, but Lucy had had her chance. Liv knew if she didn't stake her claim now, Lucy would try again, and Johnny would get hurt all over again. Liv didn't want that, but equally she didn't want to be pushed aside for not acting once again. So it was time to make her own play. She twisted to face Johnny, inching closer as her fingers tightened in his grasp. "You already know I like you, Johnny, that hasn't changed," she assured him. "But what you don't know is how much I've missed you these last weeks. And I know I left those silly messages on your phone when I was drunk, but when you didn't answer, I thought you'd changed your mind, that you'd decided you hated us ... hated me, for getting in the way and making things go bad with Lucy." She shrugged gently, lowering her gaze to their joined hands before he could see the regret that wetted her eyes. "I should have tracked you down straight away."

He turned his eyes toward their links hands, listening while she explained, the smile gone from his face. It had been two weeks since his big argument with Lucy, two weeks since he'd seen either of them, throwing himself into his job at the Wonderplex and his patrols around the city, trying to keep as busy as possible so he didn't have time to think about them. About her. It had given him and apparently them time to think, time to sort out what they were really feeling. "I didn't listen to your calls, Liv. I deleted them," he told her, lifting his gaze to hers, trying to keep the guilty look from his eyes. "I didn't want to come between you. I thought you both were better off without me."

Olivia Storm

• Old Wyrm
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 06:09:27 AM »
The soft sincerity of Liv's eyes, the color so similar and yet the expression so unlike Lucy's, lifted to meet Johnny's gaze, her heart going out to him for the guilt and pain he couldn't quite manage to hide from her. "I don't want to be without you," she told him, honesty and emotion combining in a fierce declaration that made her voice tremble just a little as she spoke. "But I don't want you to be uncomfortable, or awkward, or hurting. I don't want to make you unhappy by getting in the way if you really want to be with Lucy. Oh, I'm not making any sense," she sighed, sagging as her gaze fell from his once again. "All I know is that I don't want to let go this time ... and I wasn't even the one holding you last time!"

He shook his head, feeling like the damage between himself and Lucy had been done and was irreparable now, even if he wanted to repair it. It had been fun, but he wasn't feeling for Lucy half what he was feeling for Liv. Still, he didn't know if what he was feeling was real or just some silly infatuation. She obviously had feelings for him, but what those feelings were exactly, he wasn't quite sure. Blue eyes flickered toward her once again, as she tried to explain herself, and he realized she was more worried about hurting him than hurting herself. He had a feeling her sister didn't share those concerns.

Unsure what to say in reply to all that, there was only one way he could reply really. He leaned a little closer, letting go of her hand so that he could brush his fingers against her cheek, searching her eyes, so like Lucy's and yet so different.

Even behind the thick lenses of her glasses, Liv's eyes were deeply sincere, almost the same shade of dark nut-brown as her tousled hair. She'd run out of words, and all she had now was the turmoil of emotion that made her chest ache as she stared into Johnny's eyes, willing him to believe her. A small part of her felt a pang of guilt for offering herself to him when he had yet to make peace with Lucy, but that part was overwhelmed by the rest. Even if all he did was let her down gently, at least Liv wouldn't suffer with knowing that she hadn't tried.

Touched by her emotion and honesty and the sweetness of character that was simply Liv, Johnny realized suddenly that there were feelings stirring inside him for the younger, more vulnerable Broderick twin. Lucy, he ventured, would be okay. She'd get over him. She'd find someone new to have fun with, but Liv... Hers was a tender heart and it was obviously yearning for him. How could he deny her that? Instead of answering with words, he found himself leaning even closer, quietly studying her. He reached for her glasses, very carefully pulling them away from her face and setting them on the table, leaning closer until his lips were dangerously close to hers.

He hesitated as if debating what to do or waiting for permission. "Can I kiss you?" he asked her finally, for some reason needing to ask her for permission, when he'd never asked before.

She blinked slowly as he gently drew her glasses from her nose, following his hand with her blurred vision until the spectacles were set carefully down. Her body rippled with unspoken anticipation as she found his face so close to her own, feeling the promise of his breath against her lips, so close and yet just that little bit too far away. And there he stayed, until she felt her head become light with the effort of holding her breath in wait for what she felt sure had to come next.

The breaking of the silence between them made her gasp softly, releasing that held breath in a trembling laugh. "I think I might burst if you don't," she confessed, almost embarrassed by how much she wanted him to kiss her.

That was all the permission he needed, and he was leaning that little teensy bit closer, closing his eyes, lashes almost too long and lustrous for a man brushing his cheeks as his lips touched hers, gently at first, tentatively, not wanting to push her too quickly or too deeply, warm with unnatural heat and simple human longing.

As first kisses go, it was perfect: tentative and tender, warm as much with his naturally unnatural heat as with the longing that colored them both. Liv could feel herself trembling as his lips touched hers, as her eyes fell closed, her hands hesitant in reaching for Johnny only to fall short of actually touching him.

He didn't want to push his luck too much. She was too important to him. He'd once heard that good things were worth waiting for - he'd never really understood that sentiment until now. He drew slowly back, eyes sliding open. One kiss to see if there were sparks, if there was anything worth pursing there. He wouldn't exactly call it sparks - not the kind he'd felt with Lucy. With Lucy it had been more like a fire that would quickly burn itself out. With Liv, it was more like an ember that was slowly growing and burning deeper. He felt suddenly once again like a teenage boy on his first date. Someone had to say something. Should it be him?

She didn't give him the chance. His retreat from her was marked by the gentle lean of her body toward his, the reluctant opening of her eyes as she let go of the sensation of being kissed for the first time. Had he realised that the sweet innocence that clung to her in these moments was completely genuine, that he'd just given Olivia Broderick her very first kiss?

Liv didn't wait for him to draw attention to it. Her gaze lingered on his for a long moment of breathless, heated silence, and suddenly she moved toward him. Emboldened by this unspoken declaration of his actually liking her, she curled her hands to his neck, his cheek, drawing him back to her as her lips pressed to his, casting aside her hesitance to taste him properly.

He didn't resist, letting her take the lead, following her cues. It was a different role for him, accustomed to usually being the one to take the lead, but he didn't want to overwhelm her or scare her off. He only wanted to show her that whatever it was she was feeling, he was feeling it, too, and willing to explore it further. His lips tasted hers, demanding nothing, but promising much, his fingers sliding back through her hair to push it away from her face.

Liv truly didn't know what to do, or where she was supposed to go from here, already overwhelmed by the sensation of Johnny's gentle acquiescence to her insistent kiss. A cough from the doorway made her jump, her lips parting from his as another brilliant flush swept over her skin, glancing up as one of the nurses tactfully drew the door closed, giving them a little more privacy. Liv's quietly amazed smile turned back to Johnny, gazing on him in palpable wonder until a delighted giggle escaped her lips.

"Goodness," she breathed through her laughter, stroking fingertips against his cheek for a moment before she surged forward once again. This time, her arms went around his neck in a warm, almost possessive embrace, her truly happy smile pressed against his neck as she leaned into him.

Olivia Storm

• Old Wyrm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 06:14:46 AM »
He was equally surprised, not so much by her reaction to his kiss, but by his own unexpected feelings that seemed to stir within him when she reciprocated. Despite how different from her sister she was in almost every way, he'd worried that kissing her would be too much like kissing Lucy, but there was a tenderness, an innocence, a sweetness to Liv's kiss that wasn't there with Lucy. With Lucy, it was all passion. With Liv, there was something more, something he couldn't quite put his finger on yet.

He heard someone cough and the spell was broken, turning to glance over his shoulder just in time to see the nurse close the door. He turned back, smiling in amusement, and then Liv's arms were around his neck and she was pulling him into her embrace. He made no resistance, his arms going around her to hold her close, furrowing his brows as he tried to sort out what he was feeling in that moment.

Liv could quite happily have clung onto him for a few hours at least, but she knew he wasn't likely to be patient enough for that. Reluctantly, her arms loosened as she leaned back, somehow finding herself straddling his lap, her lips brushing his cheek once again before she opened her eyes to seek his gaze with her own. "I don't know what to say," she admitted truthfully in her quiet, undemanding voice, biting at her lower lip in a display of nervous warmth.

He still wasn't quite sure what to say to her either, and her straddling his lap wasn't helping matters any. He wasn't sure what was happening between them, but whatever it was seemed to be happening very quickly. Tell me you love me, he thought to himself, wanting to hear those words from someone someday. Words he hadn't heard from anyone in a very long time, not even from his own sister. "You don't have to say anything," he told her quietly, fingers combing through her hair. "Let's just... let's just take it slow and see where it goes." He still wasn't sure what Lucy would say to all this, but she'd had her chance, and nothing had come of it.

She nodded slowly, for once not worrying what Lucy would think, or what Lucy would do. For possibly the first time, Liv had actually reached out for what she wanted and tasted success, and that wasn't going to be thrown away no matter what her sister decided. "I should ... Well, I mean ..." She stopped herself, looking down to where one of her hands had begun to stroke the very tips of her fingers to the t-shirt beneath his shirt.

"You were right, about me always stepping back," she tried again, and it still didn't sound right, making her frown and shake her head. "I've never been with a man, Johnny. Um ... until tonight, I, I'd never even been kissed." She glanced up at him briefly, shy of seeing the reaction in case it changed his mind about her. "I just thought you should know."

Her admission surprised him, but also explained a lot. It didn't change the way he was feeling about her, but he wondered with a sudden pang of guilt if the fact that he was nowhere near as innocent as her would make a difference. Still, he hadn't slept with as many women as one might think, and he'd hadn't been in love in a very long time. He arched a brow, believing her, but still having to ask. "Never? Not even once? Not even a stolen kiss in the playground when you were a kid?"

She shook her head again, her smile wry but accepting of his leaning toward disbelief. "When you see my school pictures, you'll understand why," she told him. "I wasn't the most attractive of kids."

"I find that hard to believe." Instead of having her struggle with the chopsticks, he reached around her for the sack of takeout, pulling out an eggroll and offering her a bite. "I was wondering if you'd like to go on a date with me." He seemed almost shy about asking the question, waiting until she'd taken a bite of the eggroll.

As Johnny leaned around her, Liv laughed a little, realising that she should probably get off his lap. But she was comfortable, and he wasn't complaining, so she stayed put, obediently letting him feed her without protest. Lucy would have fainted dead away at the sight of this; most people, if they tried to baby Liv, got a mouthful of irritation and more.

Chewing slowly, Liv licked her lips, holding Johnny's gaze with her own slightly blurred vision, making him wait until she'd swallowed before answering his tentative question. "Should I bring the hot dogs?" she asked, daring to tease him again with a soft giggle. "I'd love to go on a date with you, Johnny."

He chuckled, remembering his disastrous attempt at a picnic. "No, I was thinking more along the lines of a romantic dinner." He wanted to try doing things the right way this time Though he was more the spontaneous, adventurous type, there was a romantic lurking inside him somewhere. "Someday maybe I'll take you to New York."

"Well ... I'm in here for another six days," she said in a faintly defeated tone, "but apparently I have to take another week off work once I get out, so I might annoy you by hanging around too much." It was a playful warning, but the flicker in her expression suggested that she genuinely believed her company got irritating after a certain amount of time. "Maybe we should see if you can survive me having nothing to do but follow you around like a lovesick puppy before we make any big plans."

He laughed. "A lovesick puppy, huh? Let's see if you can keep up with me." He smirked, finishing off the eggroll. "Should I bring dinner again tomorrow?"

"Yes, you definitely should," Liv nodded, her answer ridiculously fervent. "The food here is actually worse than Lucy said it would be. Seriously, I think they gave me ratatouille with real rat earlier." She shuddered lightly, twisting to take up her glasses again and set them on her nose before she got a headache trying to see him in focus.

He chuckled again, surprised to find himself laughing a lot in her presence, more so than he had with Lucy, but then he and Lucy hadn't had a lot of time to laugh as their relationship had been a mostly physical one, with little time for conversation.

But with Liv ... He'd been right the first time, when he'd realised the difference between the twins. Lucy was perhaps a little too much like the Johnny he'd been a couple of years ago, all about fun and flings and not touched yet by the loneliness of not having someone constant to return to. She was the sort of woman who made a good friend, but a lousy lover, and she knew it. Whereas the girl sliding from his lap to settle beside him and return to her studious struggle with chopsticks ... There was a real chance that they might find that constancy in each other. It seemed Fate was not above throwing Johnny Storm a curveball when it came to love, even here on Rhy'Din.

[size=9]((If at first you don't succeed ... try the other twin.  ;-) Thanks to Johnny's player for the scene!))[/size]

Eregor

• Adult Wyrm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 10:30:01 PM »
[size=9]((Though it's likely obvious, this post takes place a few days after the prior posts in this thread.))[/size]

There was a knock on the doorframe to Liv's room, and then a nurse leaned inside.  "You have visitors."  Plural, so not Johnny.

As the nurse stepped aside, Eregor entered in his ever-present longcoat, smiling warmly and carrying a floral display.  "Evening, Olivia."  He managed to make the full name seem both formal and casual at the same time.  "Jamros and Mike are waiting outside, and some of the others in the cast are planning to stop by later.  We would've come sooner, but... well, the boss has been working us harder than usual.  I think she's trying to cope without you and overcompensating, so hurry back, eh?"  He set the vase down on a side table.  "From all of us... hope you like them."

There was a cough from the doorway, and two others entered, a dwarf and a human: Jamros Battlebeard and Michael Bentonville.  "Hiya, Liv," said Jamros as he approached.  "The nurse said we could all come see you, as long as we didn't make too much noise.  So how's it coming along?"

And so it went, as the cast and crew of 'Getting Over Alyson' came and went through the evening until visiting hours ended, letting Liv know how much her presence at the studio was missed by everyone and wishing her a speedy recovery.