Author Topic: The OOC Thread  (Read 5695 times)

JewellRavenlock

• Great Wyrm
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2007, 12:39:13 AM »
Cie! Totally love "Shadows of Rage" (what good Ravenlock player doesn't love a good fight?) but ahem...I hear tell that it is your turn for "A World of Chaos and Shadows."  :)
"The smell of her hair, the taste of her mouth, the feeling of her skin seemed to have got inside him, or into the air all round him. She had become a physical necessity."
George Orwell [i:9013fa4f09]1984[/i:9013fa4f09]

Fiona DeAuster

• Adult Wyrm
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2007, 08:49:18 PM »
I was Hacked last night.

It?s a rather horrible feeling. While I understand I am a victim of random selection, it still hurts. The target was the game I was playing. WOW. They went after nothing else but that.

How did it happen?
I can?t really answer that, even if I have my suspicions about the latest, (And very buggy) patch. As it was, I was over in Azshara playing with a friend and was kicked out into the blue screen of death. I didn?t really think anything of it and went to eat dinner. Upon my return less then an hour later, I found I was locked out of my WOW account.

No big deal, I had a new password sent. This is when it started to turn really ugly for me. Upon my attempt to sign into my e-mail, I realized that too had been blocked from me. Panic ensued. Knowing a few things about the mail I use, I kept trying to sign in, even tho I knew it wouldn?t work and managed to lock it down for a 12-hour period.

It was a long night for me, as I ran my Virus checker then Ad-Aware and while no virus was detected, the Ad-Aware did catch a keylogger dated on Saturday also, tied into my Wow account. Apparently it got me while I was on the game. Nice huh? After that I went to every possible site and changed my passwords.

Now, WOW doesn?t have 24-7 phone support, so I papered every single Blizzard e-mail I could find. I had to wait until 8am to call about my Yahoo mail. Needless to say when I got back my account, I changed it to my Aol paid mail.

My Hacker did make an attempt to get Blizzard to send them information. There is a reply to mail on my account that I didn?t send, having been forced to use an alternative mail name until I could contact Yahoo by phone. So I know they tried to get back in, that is until I locked them out of my mail.

I have played this game for going on 2 years with the occasional breaks. I have one level 70, one level 68, 55, 54, 50, 49.. You get the idea.

The first name I see was my Hunter, level 70. She still had her gear and I felt relieved, but when I signed on under her, I discovered the money she had, which was a lot as I was working towards a flying mount was gone. Her bank was wiped out. From packed to nothing left. Devestating. They were kind enough to leave her 2 silver and a few coppers. They didn?t get enough time to sell all her gear. They even sold all of her pet food! Jerks. Got a few silver for it and little else.

The next one I see is my mage, level 68. That one sent me into weeping. My mage was hard to level. Cloth wearer with a lot of power but no armor. I worked hard to gear her out. She had the best gear I could get by running instances and to see her naked nearly broke my heart. Her bank was wiped, her money, enchanting mats, primals?everything. It was crushing. Yes, it?s just a game but to see something like that, well it felt oh so very personal.

They did start on my Paladin. However a friend sent me a whisper there and apparently that caused them to panic as they signed off right after. That likely saved me from having her standing naked in the middle of Stormwind. Considering that one does have a few epics, I am glad they panicked.

So, on to my Rogue. Low and behold, she?s sitting on over 1000 gold. What?? Well, I have the satisfaction of knowing I stopped them from getting the money they so obviously wanted. BUT, I am still upset. The money was replaceable. A few quests in outland and I could have been back up to a few hundred gold. Seriously.

What still stings is my Mage?s Gear. That isn?t so easily obtained. I had to run in pick up groups. I had to endure a lot of dieing to get it. I had to suffer the stupidity of morons that would tell me ?She?s cloth and isn?t worth healing.? They got a piddly 87 gold for selling all her gear. May not seem like much, but to me, it was worth far more.

Soon as I got back on, I did send in a GM Ticket. They took it all very seriously and did assure me I would recover all my things. I am going to keep on hoping for that as otherwise, I don?t think I will have the desire to start over. They set it as High Priority, likely due to the outside e-mail being affected.

Now, for those out there playing Wow. Beware. A Blue Screen of Death can mean you have just been hit. Tips I have only NOW discovered, being totally unaware of this sort of malicious crap all created over this one single Game. There is apparently BIG money in Gold Farming. Or the Lazy being more inclined to steal from others then work their own toons up.

Use Ad-Aware or some kind of spyware. These keyloggers are NOT caught by a virus checker.

I don?t use IE, haven?t for years, but discovered a handy add on that makes Firefox safer then any other browser out there. Noscript. USE it. Easily found by going to your Firefox add on site and doing a search for it.  It will block even keyloggers trying to sneak onto your computer as apparently this is a Script.

Use the safety features most e-mail providers have. If yours doesn?t have it, get one that does. In light of this situation, I did change my contact information. AOL does have phone help 24-7, unlike Yahoo that is only open from 6am to 6pm PST Mon-Sun.

Paper everything you can find if you get hit in the game with something like this. I found four e-mail addresses and yes I used them all. I contacted them and let them know I was hacked. This not only will help me in the recovery of all the items taken, but will aid in the time line of what happened.

Now, I won?t play the game for a while. Not until I get my gear back. As it will probably end up being an account rollback, so anything I do will be for nothing anyway. This is likely the best action I can take. Tomorrow, I will be calling Blizzard. I don?t know what will come of it, but I want some answers to this. I do keep a virus protection running constantly. I have spyware prevention on my computer. I am not careless. I have never handed out my password to anyone else. I follow the rules. So something, somewhere is broken and I can only hope they fix it soon.

Fio's Rattled player.
[size=10:3dcb965e30][color=#151B54:3dcb965e30]"Someone screaming softly in the distance
I run to seek my refuge from the light
until the darkness once more falls upon me"
Stabbing Westward[/color:3dcb965e30][/size:3dcb965e30]

Lydia Loran

• Young Wyrm
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2007, 10:57:41 PM »
*Hops in and wavewaves*

I once said I wanted to draw Daniel, so of course it took me forever to finally take a crack at it. Just a sketch really. I'll probably try coloring sometime. But for now, behold teh Danny sketch. :)

Daniel DeAuster

• Young Wyrm
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2007, 12:57:48 PM »
To be honest, when I was first linked into this, I didn't know what to say. I was very much surprised someone had done a sketch of my boy, and I'm deeply honored. I always love seeing what people's take on characters are, and cannot wait to see it when colored.

Thank you!  :D

JewellRavenlock

• Great Wyrm
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2007, 03:26:29 PM »
Yay! What a pleasant surprise to come home and find "A World..." updated!  That made my day :)

::Checks out the pic of Danny while she's here:: Hotttt
"The smell of her hair, the taste of her mouth, the feeling of her skin seemed to have got inside him, or into the air all round him. She had become a physical necessity."

JewellRavenlock

• Great Wyrm
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2007, 07:17:08 PM »
Yay!! More "A World..." updates! ::Gleeful::

Lucius DeAuster

• Old Wyrm
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2007, 11:13:10 AM »
Well, it's that time of year again. Food, presents, lousy weather, food, time off from work... Oh, did I mention food...?

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas, belated Channukah, Boxing Day for the UK, and all-around happy holidays.

I'm hoping to catch up on my writing during Christmas and New Years, and maybe even crack open Poser. Who knows...
[color=blue:edda570bea][i:edda570bea]Fate whispered to the Warrior
"You cannot withstand the storm"

And the Warrior whispered back
"I am the storm"

-Anon[/i:edda570bea][/color:edda570bea]

Lucius DeAuster

• Old Wyrm
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2008, 09:55:44 AM »
First post of the New Year. Woooo!

Ok, got that out of my system.

Hope everyone's holidays went as well as could be hoped, and the new year has started off in high fashion.

For The Poetess: This is rather belated, but thank you for the kind words. I know it does the artists and PS'ers on-site good to hear praise for thier work. That, as much as any of the stories, inspires them to continue.

And lastly.....

GEAUX TIGERS!
BCS CHAMPS!
UP YOURS, USC!

"I am the storm"

JewellRavenlock

• Great Wyrm
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2008, 03:02:30 PM »
::Totally eats up "A World of Chaos and Shadows" posts!:: I love it!

Lucius DeAuster

• Old Wyrm
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2008, 11:25:59 AM »
As we recover from the debauchery that was Carnival, and move into Lent, I couldn't resist posting this last tidbit.

The Creole Ten Commandments of Gumbo

First, you make a roux
There shall be no courses before me
Take not the shrimp de-veined
Andouille unto others...
Judge not by the color of the roux
Honor thy mama's and thy daddy's recipe
Thou shalt not resort to the prepackaged
Thou shalt eat thy fill
Covet not thy neighbors Andouille
Give us this day our daily french bread

"I am the storm"

Lucius DeAuster

• Old Wyrm
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2008, 10:40:14 AM »
For the gamers out there...

"I am the storm"

Lucius DeAuster

• Old Wyrm
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2008, 02:00:50 PM »
A tidbit of goodness...

Hello, I am the Ret

"I am the storm"

Bad Blood

• Wyrmling
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2008, 08:35:16 PM »
LOL! I don't like WoW. But that was some funny shizzle.
“Often I find mineself lost in cold, unfeeling abysses, when the vitae of mine enemies dots mine cheeks. It boils mine blood, makes mine mind drunk, full to the brim of bloodshed, of glory, of death, decay and mutated pleasure."

- Kaelna

Fiona DeAuster

• Adult Wyrm
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2008, 09:38:12 PM »
This is just a general notice to those involved in the Gharnholme SLs. Due to a huge difference in gaming ethics and the idea of respectful play, and discovering that my ideals are vastly different from many of those involved, I as the player of Fiona, Cieara, Sorcha and others will no longer have interaction or story lines with Lord Brutin his player or those that are involved in his stories. The only exception to this will be Tara.

Thank you,
Fiona?s Player.
[size=10:3dcb965e30][color=#151B54:3dcb965e30]"Someone screaming softly in the distance
I run to seek my refuge from the light
until the darkness once more falls upon me"
Stabbing Westward[/color:3dcb965e30][/size:3dcb965e30]

Sorcha Mirawien

• Young Wyrm
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2008, 06:33:33 PM »
In light of recent events, I am posting up the log of a certain fight, as is. I have made no changes other then to post them as it was played out.

Thank you.
[color=#306754:1ac2eecb36]Lady Sorcha Zelari Mirawien
Shadow Assassin

[i:1ac2eecb36]Close call there in the shadows
There's a fear in the dark
There's one out there
Out of the Shadows -Sarah McLachlan[/i:1ac2eecb36][/color:1ac2eecb36]