Author Topic: In the Shadow of the Mountains  (Read 2440 times)

Chaos

In the Shadow of the Mountains
« on: April 06, 2008, 06:53:05 AM »
In a world with out evil there was nothing for anybody to fear. Bob had retired and therefore took the fear out of the city he had once haunted. There would be much work ahead of the former evil doer. But to protect himself from would be challengers he had headed in the direction of the mountains. He would have walked there, where was there exactly?

Four days Bob wandered in the wilderness of the wild. Encountering nothing but silence and welcomed peace and quiet he had finally reached the spot. Just beyond here was the barrier where magic stopped.

Bob had done many terrible things in his past, this was not one of them. He was past all of that now, right? Bob decided to use his magic one last time and created with a wave of his hand a simple place to live. A house with a workshop. Bob sighed as he looked at his isolation around him. Although he was not completely alone. He was on the most direct path from Rhydin city to the mountain range. He was sure he would get visitors eventually.

The shop was created. Bob sat on that old rocking chair on the plain porch and gazed off into the empty expanse of land before him and wondered what the future would hold now. He was trying to be normal as possible and blend into the landscape.

Peace at long last was his. Then he looked to the workshop, to the forge and he wondered what kind of things he would sell, and what kind of people he would meet here.

CM

• Young Wyrm
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 05:19:30 PM »
::Cadence woke up on the couch in her special room. She was still dressed in the gown from when Club Babylon opened. What a strange night it was for her and now she felt like a herd of Water Buffalo just trampled over her. Funny thing about that, she had bruises all up and down her legs and arms. She couldn't remember how it happened but she was sure it didn't while she was in the club::

No mores drinking....

::Every muscle in her body ached as she got up from the couch and moved to the mirror hanging over the sink. She splashed cool clean water on her face and then took a drink. Pretty blooshot blues looked back at her as she rubbed the grime off her face. She remembered now...::

And no mores drinking and trying to flys...

::In her haste to be out of the Club, she had tried to fly herself home even though her wings were numb. Bad combination. She couldn't feel which way her wings moved and so she weaved and wobbled inbetween and into the trees along the way. She was halfway back to the corp when she realized all she needed to do was open a door. Finally she did and then stumbled to the couch, practically falling down into the cushions::

Bob..?

::Now she remembered why he was gone.... and felt a pang of guilt that Bob had left. She wanted to appologize. She hadn't meant what she said and was convinced it was why he left... Fear was back within her again::

Oh I screwed up.

::taking out the crystal ball of hers, she moved to the door of her special room. She stepped out into the forests north of RhyDin, sat down on a fallen log and began to scry..... That's when she noticed him walking towards the mountains moving away from RhyDin. She wanted desperately to step out to him and apologize but fear kept her from doing so. Instead, she kept to scrying him every day, several times a day following as he neared a place and set up a home::

::There was something different about the place, just beyond where he set up his new walls. The absence was thick and complete, a barrier of magicless void::

::She watched him rocking on the chair. Casting a very minor spell, she sent him a short message, her voice whispered into his ear, though the magic didn't allow a response::

"I'm sorry, Bob. I didn't mean what I said.... I'll leaves yous alone. I miss yous. Glad yous have a nice cozy place. Be well."

::putting away the crystal ball, she stepped back into her room and closed the door::

((reposted from String - *Banishment of Fear* on the *Taking Care of Business* boards))

Chaos

Re:
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 09:45:59 AM »
Peace and quiet, Bob sat there to observe this surrounding, then he was interrupted. "Hello, my name is Yi, What's yours.?" Bob blinked then slowly turned his head, There she was, a little girl dressed in clothes that had seen better days obviously, they were faded red and black, very simple. Not quite what to make of her he replied. "My name is Bob, nice to meet you Yi. Now...where did you come from exactly?"

"I live in the village over there. I am out training for my second ranking. Then I saw this show up, it was really cool so I came to say hi, so..you know..hi." She seemed nervous. "Training, Hey, I have an idea. I have nothing better to do maybe you need a sparring partner?" Yeah Bob was bored, and trying to be nice to the local population instead of killing them.

She lit up, you could tell because of the smile that appeared there on his, most of the women of Rhydin seemed to have trouble resisting him. Who knew what kind of effect he would have on the mind of some kid, it obviously was a good one. "I am really tough you know, I don't want you to get hurt." Bob just smirked and pushed him self off the old chair. "Oh, I think I can handle myself." It was only then did Bob notice she had a wooden training sword in her hand. Not being completely in the barrier his magic still worked. "Watch this trick." Bob then materialized his own training sword.

The little lady was then enchanted with that trick, it was amazing how fast kids attached themselves to somebody they hardly knew, of course when a house appears out of nowhere the curiosity does arrive. "Anytime your ready." He stepped off the porch, the kid was still speechless for a moment, then. "Tricks or not I will show you what I am made of."

Bob sighed and reminded himself not to bash the kid's skull in on accident, then he slid his right foot behind him and took the sword's hilt in both hands and lifted it up. Sloppy form sure, but this was not a life and death battle.

The little lady followed the example, despite her small stature and young age, he saw her more like a picture, a perfect example of a warrior in training. "Begin!" She shouted in her native language due to habit, instead of the common one being taught. Her wooden blade struck like lightning in a forward thrust, he saw it coming and decided instead to deflect it and send her away, he stepped back and and deflected the blade to the side, never breaking contact with that one move he quickly slid the blade up and set the edge of his blade next to her throat.

"Woah, Ive never seen anybody move that fast before! how did you learn that!!" Not concerned in the least about the fact she would have been dead at all, strangely she trusted him fully. It made no sense but it was well placed as he retreated. "It just comes with practice. Maybe I can teach you a couple of moves here and there." In an attempt to play nice with the public, he would be offering with out taking anything. It was hard.

"I wanna do it again." and that pose was struck one more time as if her body was more fluid than solid. "As you wish." And Bob once again obtained this sloppy pose once more. Again the agressive little vixen attacked this time she leaped and attacked. That attack would have been easy to block....however.

"I'm sorry, Bob. I didn't mean what I said.... I'll leaves yous alone. I miss yous. Glad yous have a nice cozy place. Be well." Came to him like a voice right next to him. "Cadence?" Was all he had time to ask before Yi's wooden blade smashed down on his forehead. Reacting fast he quickly fell  with the attack. In order to not break her weapon over his head. "OW!" Bob said in surprise as he hit the ground.

She just blinked. "Are....are you ok?' She did not move for a moment, some people had taken that blow and died, she had seen it before. "Don't worry, I am fine." He said dusting himself off. "Who is Cadence, do you hear voices mister Bob?" She said as she placed her right hand on her hip. "Cadence is a friend among many I had left in the city. I don't do goodbyes very well so I had to leave them all to come here. And yes. Sometimes I do hear voices, is this going to be an issue?" He said and laughed at the last part.

"No issues here!" Then her brown eyes turned to the setting sun in the distance. "I gotta go home, see you later?" Bob sighed and his training sword vanished once more. "Yeah. I will be here. See you later." Yi turned and ran off towards the direction of the village. Bob watched for a second, then he walked back to that chair of his on the porch, then he sat down once more contented in his existence.

I should visit that village someday, maybe tomorrow I show up. He thought to himself as he listened to the ambient sounds of nature as they randomly revealed themselves in the fading light of the night sky.

Chaos

Re:
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 04:39:44 AM »
And the sun did rise. Bob never slept and doing nothing for the first time in who knew how long was relaxing. It was time to go to the village and go say hi. Bob slowly stood up and stepped off the porch and on to the dusty ground, with a sigh and not even bothering to look back, he ventured forward into the direction of the village.

Bob walked straight in the direction that Yi had ran off in for two hours straight and still no village. He wondered where it could have gone too. He would keep walking for just a bit longer until he heard it, voices actually, lots of them. He slowly turned his head and there it was off to his left aways, destination found and course plotted, he went in that direction. The walk was not a long one at all.

The village seemed to have no name that he could find but the people there tried not to notice the stranger, but they looked at him like he was a three headed dragon. It was obvious outsiders were not looked highly upon here. Bob just ignored them and moved on. It was early in the day so that would mean people were still getting awake.

Be it by chance or predestined fate Bob turned a corner and there was Little Yi, in the same clothes as she had on yesterday. This time however she was cornered by a gang of older kids, they had sticks, training swords  to be exact. The one doing all the talking had a sword made out of steel. Katana to be exact and it looked too big for the kid. Bob narrowed his eyes and approached them from behind and listened.

"So the rookie kid wants to be a fighter, We did warn you to drop out of the classes, you embarrass the whole history of the school, since you didn't listen, now you get to scream for us." The metal bladed one said.

"I won't quit. Im not scared of you!." Yi was a firey little girl, he could see it in her eyes but he also knew the ways of kids. As she said the defiant words that metal blade went up in a flash and threatened to come down on her head. "Hey there, kid. Could I make a small suggestion before you do something like that?" Bob finally spoke up and the kid stopped and turned around, the other six did too. "Who are you, get lost old man." Bob just smiled. "My suggestion is to never turn your back on an enemy who is armed." With nobody noticing Yi a basic training sword appeared at her feet, and she quietly picked it up.

"She isn't...."Was all he got out before Yi delivered a well placed blow to the kid's neck. It dropped him instantly as Bob walked forward, the rest of you kids get lost, now." There was a hint of that sinister past in his voice as he commanded the gang to retreat. Needless to say they did so. Bob walked to the fallen one and knelt there beside him. He picked up that metal blade with one hand and the other hand took hold of the kid's ponytail, he lifted the head up and placed the blade under the neck. "Lets make a deal, you leave Yi alone forever, and I won't kill you with your own sword, got it?" Bob said with a smile. Yi was watching on with some amount of horror in her eyes, and some satisfaction too though.

"O....ok..I promise.." The kid said in a haze. Bob took the blade from the flesh and stood up once more. "This is now mine, too." He then turned to his new friend. "Hello miss Yi. How's it going today?" Bob said with a smile. "Mister Bob I am so glad to see you, these jerks were going to beat me up again cause I wont quit!" She was ecstatic to see him and his treatment of the bullies. "Speaking of the lower class, who are these pricks anyway?" He asked her as he looked down on the knocked out form.

"This is Matsui. He is the son of the leader of the village and nobody likes him, or the leader." Damn it, first day in town and already he managed to make an enemy, it just had to be the leader's kid didn't? He thought to himself. "Well, I hope I taught him a lesson." He nodded to her. Her eyes got wide. "I'm late for class!! Come on follow me!!" Then once again she took off running around a corner. Bob looked one more time over the kid beaten, then he took that blade and snapped it with the force of his mind alone.

As the pieces of the sword fell to the ground Bob walked off in the direction she ran off too, she was easy to track. And she lead him right to a odd clearing with twenty kids of various ages all training in sword form, there Yi was waving at Bob as he came around the corner. The instructor was a man that seemed to be familiar somehow.  He was older and of many hard years. It was obvious to Bob this guy was good, but he must have been one of those self sacrificing types to remain in such a small venue. Bob approached the side and leaned against one of the various posts that was there. Then that instructor looked his way. "You there, who are you.?" He asked in a very clear and strong voice.

"I am a friend of Yi. She invited me to watch her train." He replied, but never really looked at the guy. "Well, Friend of Yi. Watching is not a privilege you must earn your right to be here. Take off your shoes, lets see if you can earn this."

Bob just sighed and took off his shoes." As you wish. But do not use your most favored sword." Bob took off his jacket and at his side hung a very odd silver bar, attached to the belt. He took the thing off and pointed it at the instructor. "Let's get this over with." Not underestimating the stranger with his odd device in the least he picked up a wooden training sword and sent the students to the side.

Bob sighed the instructor attacked, he was fast and powerful. But now for something really impressive, Bob activated his weapon, a black beam of light materialized. With one quick swing the wooden sword was turned into kindling, and stood there with the point of the glowing weapon there in his face. "Seen enough yet, or would you like me to keep earning my rights to stick around?" He said as he narrowed his eyes at him.

"You did good!, you can stay here.." As soon as that was said, Bob took a step back and de-activated his weapon and placed it back on his side. "Thank you." He said this and moved back to his place. There was not a pair of eyes that did not follow him back. The town now had something to talk about. He leaned against the said post once more and his shoes were on once more. Nobody saw him put them back on.

"I think I am going to like this place." He said to himself as the training ground attempted to go back to normal in vain after such an impressive display.

Chaos

Re:
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 03:08:33 AM »
The school eventually made it back to being normal.  Bob would have remained where he was. No mysterious disappearing acts, none of that stuff for him anymore. He was just your average, regular guy that happened the one and only black lightsaber known to exist in the land. The lessons seemed to go faster than he had expected them too and soon he was overwhelmed with questions from many curious minds.

"What was that?, How did you do that?, Where can I get one of those things? and the ever popular teach me how to do that?" Questions from so many people had only a select few answers and the were all taken care of as Bob out stretched his hands and performed the universal sign and signal for them to simmer down. The kids caught on to this and got quiet. "First of all, call it a magic trick, second of all, no I won't teach you this until you master the class here first. This thing is the only one of its kind, and you can't have one." Then Bob paused for a moment, then smiled. "But if you really want to learn this stuff, I mean really want to learn it I will show you how if you get permission." Bob knew no sane parent would let their kids go off to learn anything with a stranger in town, he was playing it safe.

Those kids instantly had delusions in their head, of learning and being some kind of hero. "Well, you know. Go ask them if you can. If you don't ask then you will never know!" Common sense rang true, and the kids instantly left to rush home. "You...seem very familiar, Do I know you from anywhere?" The instructors voice came then and Bob turned around. "I doubt it. I am new here and just trying to get away from the drama of the city." Then he nodded. "You know, that was pretty impressive, Ive never seen a weapon like that before. Where did you get it?" The teacher asked.

"I..Well lets just say I had it made by a very special being, and it is one of a kind as well." He said and began to walk away, even Yi was caught up in the chance to learn the things he knew and was gone. "Well, welcome to our village of Carcosa. Try not to cause any trouble." Bob just laughed and walked away.

Exploring the village took no more than a few hours, the people seemed to be too busy to notice him, he seemed to fit in. It was a peaceful place to be sure, but then the night began to come once more and the air began to change. The men of the city began to suit up in armor. They believed something came out of the night and it was dangerous. He gathered this from their conversations, what it was though remained unknown. The sunlight around here seemed to die much sooner than anywhere else because of the mountains that hid the sunlight.

This night the threat would not come from the outside, however it would come from within. Odd screams came from the inner walls of the living quarters and soon lights began to flare up from the windows, first one, then many more followed it. Bob would observe the place for now to see what the matter was.

Shrieks of horror came from concerned parents, something about not being able to wake them up. Bob did not need a doctor to know what was going on. He too could feel the disturbance in the energies then as well. Something was coming with enough force too cause one thing, the only thing it was made for. Nightmares.

Not tonight. It would not happen under his watch. Still retired from being the bad guy made it much easier to do what he did. Bob created his own energy waves to disrupt the incoming disturbance just enough to break the cycle of the nightmare that he knew would only end in one way. Bob often used the same tactic as a preemptive strike tactic, so that made him wonder who was doing it now, or was it the result of something else?

The nightmare was shattered and the children and even some adults were saved that night when they awoke from it, much to the relief of the people who had to watch the process.

Bob then quietly slipped back into the night and began the journey back to his house, nobody ever knowing the wiser of what he did for the village.

CM

• Young Wyrm
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 02:33:17 PM »
I lied....

::While Bob was in the villiage, Cadence had come to his place where it sat in the shadow of the mountian. She knocked on his door and when there was no answer she moved to the rocking chair there on the porch and sat down. She tried to stay awake until he got back but it was much too much for her. The cool air caused her to curl up with the cloak he'd given her and before long she was fast aleep all curled up in that chair. The hood was also pulled up to cover her face leaving only a bit of that silvery blondness peeking out from it. What was Cadence doing there?::

Chaos

Re:
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 08:15:59 AM »
"Hey, look at that over there." Some traveler, obviously a twisted individual with evil intentions and just as dark clothing said to the one who was with him. He was much larger of a guy. The pair of eyes turned over to the house, to the chair with the curled up figure there on the porch. He nodded in silence, it seemed to be a habit. The two men walked closer to the strange house and hoped not to reveal their presence. The hair was revealed to them just before the last remaining light abandoned the sky for the night. "Let's do this, maybe the house has something we can find useful."

Thirty steps later, the two people were no more than ten feet away from their target, they would never make it. "Excuse me, but would you two guys have the time?" The voice came from behind them and any bad guy who was seriously in the game would have known that chilling voice. And they did freeze in their tracks, but were able to turn around. "Y...you, your retired and gone..what brings you here?" the man with the voice asked while the other took a single step back.

"Listen...no, on second thought, just get lost." Bob out stretched his arms placed his hands on their shoulders. "Good bye." The men became surrounded with a strange glow, and without warning shot straight up into the sky. They would not be killed, but they would suffer upon their landing several miles away.

Finishing the trip to the porch, another chair appeared there next to where she was and there he sat. "Well, well. Cadence. What are you doing here I wonder." He said quietly, but decided to let her sleep and wake up on her own, he would sit there and wait silently for her to wake up, watching over  her and the surroundings to make sure no uninvited visitors would have shown up.

CM

• Young Wyrm
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 04:08:57 PM »
::Cadence squirmed slightly in the rocker when the two men were dealt with, yet she remained asleep. Even when she heard Bob's voice in her sleep, she merely sighed gently a humming sort of sigh and  respositioned herself to lay on her other side. It was actually another hour or so before she woke up, huge yawns and stretches kept her occupied while she inched her way to sit up. It was still dark out but morning wasn't far behind. She noticed Bob sitting in a chair that wasn't there before. Her sleepy self smiled and she moved swiftly to sit on his lap and give him a big 'ol hug, wraping her little arms around his neck::

I sorry Bob. I lied... I said I'd stay away but.. well, I lied.

::she pulled back to look at him in earnest::

Forgive me? I missed yous.

;:which was true, but there were things on her mind. Lots of things.. clearly she needed to talk::

Chaos

Re:
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 06:41:03 AM »
So she would awaken and become attached, literally. He was hugged and then he smiled somewhat. and looked at her, but as usual didn't move. So what if he had sat there for an hour or more, it was likely more than an hour because night was just arriving, oh well.

"I can forgive you for showing up. Cadence, what is it. You did not come out all this way just because you missed me did you. What is it that is on your mind? I know you better than you think I do." Then he smiled, again. Hey he was retired and being the super average guy instead of the super bad one.

He looked around and wondered what he would hear from her. It was always interesting to hear what she had to say.

CM

• Young Wyrm
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 05:21:12 PM »
::a soft shrug to his question::

I really did miss yous.. and I need a break. Well, more then that I guess. It's just... I really wanted to talk to yous about why yous left. I'm very confused by that. I thought I did something wrong. And then there's this kidnapping deal. Well, it has gotten me so upset!

:: oh there it was, that frown.. that hurt frustrated pouty little frown::

I don't knows why people gotta be so... Soooo.... Oh, I dunno, just so mean!

::she glanced around a bit::

I'm sorry if I bothered yous so early. I mean if yous want me to go...

::Well, she thought morning wasn't far behind but that was par for the course of moving through time so much. She had yet to discover the shifting lag. Her stomach growled and she realized in that moment how hungry she was. She felt like she hadn't eaten in a week. A slight blush crept into her cheeks::

Chaos

Re:
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 08:55:12 AM »
"People can be very mean I suppose. I should know how mean they could be. I used to be one of those people. As for the kidnapping thing. You can rest assured I have nothing to do with it." He said with a smile and a dose of sarcasm with his voice on that last part.

"Why I left? It had nothing to do with you actually. I just figured it was time for me to retire. And I suck and saying goodbye, so I don't do it often. There are other bad guys out there who need a shot at winning once and awhile. Besides, retirement is good. You should go check out the village over there. I am thinking about becoming a teacher and stuff. Now that I am not a bad guy anymore, I can do normal things I think." He smiled to her.

"You can stay here as long as you want. So I really don't have much to offer in terms of food though." He shrugged. " If you want something to eat I could get something for you I suppose, no problem at all."

"Interested?, we could talk over breakfast more on what is on your mind."

CM

• Young Wyrm
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 05:02:41 PM »
Goodbye's are hard. Theys just somehting about them that's difficult. They's just so.. final. Maybe I... no, I know I don't want yous to ever say it to me. Normal things, huh?

::She smiled back at him::

Breakfast sounds good, Bob. I don't want to be a bother, but it does sound good.

::but sitting there felt good, too. She was comfortable::

I guess that means I gotta gets up?

Chaos

Re:
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 09:06:02 AM »
"You're not a bother, but if you do want to eat, it does mean you do have to move." He said to her quietly. "And yes. Normal things like building things and being a teacher and not causing massive amounts of trouble."

"So, what do you want to eat." He said with a smile.

Meanwhile, three hundred miles away.......

"Are you sure this is a good Idea, those two were thrown from this direction, but trying to find what did it may not be a good idea you know." A man in old and torn black clothes said to what looked like a superior member. "You don't do that to any member of the talons and get away with it. I don't care who you are or what powers you have. We will avenge our brothers." The lesser ranked man said and he turned around to look behind them.

Behind them were ninety formless figures clad in identical black armor on motorcycles. The leader in was in a strange shadow cloak that seemed to move on its own, despite being no wind. With a simple hand gesture the metal beast machines came to life, screaming with a mournful sound that seemed more akin to a banshee's death wail than an engine. The motive was revenge, the price would be blood, and the destination would be the small Village of Carcosa, the place where the gang knew their brothers were going to first.

Death began its journey across the land.

CM

• Young Wyrm
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2008, 05:10:03 PM »
::she moved, getting down to stand up::

Maybe we could go to the village instead. Yous know... kill two birds with one stone, er somethin like that. I get food and get to see the place, and you get to show it off to me.

::she looked that direction and a frown formed::

But theys no magic there? I see it, the barrier like a magical dead zone. At least I can still fly in it.

::she wiggled her wings with a grin and then looked Bob up and down, sizing him up, nodding approval::

Nope, yous don't weigh more then two hundred and fifty pounds, do you? I can fly us both. We get there faster that way. I just gotta knows something, though. Since that's anti magic, I'm guessing the villiage don't know what magic is. So if that's right, do theys even know much about other cultures? Would I freak anyone out if I went there? You know... wings and the odd marks on my eyes might be wierd to them. Or theys might be down with that, too. You been there, what's theys like?

Chaos

Re:
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2008, 07:07:07 AM »
He smiled to her. "We can go to the village later and explore it when they are awake fully. No need to shock them again they just had some kind of strange nightmare issue the other night and it would be better off to let them sleep."

He looked around and noted the barrier. "Yeah, actually there are two barriers to this place I think. The one closer to the mountain is where no magic works at all, this one out here is much weaker and prevents teleportation and stuff. I had to walk to get out here myself. But this house I could still build the magical way. The village is immune to surprise magical attacks and they have a watchful eye on things."

He smiled at her offer and questions. "You know you could fly us both but the trip out there is best taken slow. Besides, there is no rush, right? As for your appearance, they might freak out somewhat, but like I said. Maybe it would be best to not bother them at the moment. Oh I think they would know what magic is, they just know why the barrier exists, as for other cultures, no they don't get many visitors. They are pretty trusting people for the most part, I think. But don't underestimate them. I think they won't mind you." He paused for a minute, then continued.

"So, now for the more pressing question. What do you want to eat?"