Author Topic: A Peek at the Future  (Read 1625 times)

Samuel Winchester

• Young Wyrm
    • View Profile
    • Disposable Heroes
Re: A Peek at the Future
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2020, 06:02:55 PM »
"Oh, I know you will," she said with a grin. "Go on, pretty yourself up for the returning heroine." From upstairs, they could hear the cheerful barking of an over-excited puppy who was possibly being lifted out of the bath to be dried by now.

Sam grinned at his mother's remark before heading for the door. He could tell from the racket upstairs that his father had his hands full. "Tell Dad I'll talk to him soon!" he said, snagging his coat before heading out the door to rendezvous with his wife.

"Will do!" Jo chuckled to herself as Sam closed the door behind him, but the smile faded as she considered again what he had told her. Stroking her belly absently, she murmured, "Looks like your first years are going to be action-packed, kiddo."

The sound of a thump from somewhere upstairs signaled the fact that the dog's bath was officially over. The sound of paws thumping down the stairs was further proof, a ball of fluffy, wet fur with Dean in pursuit.

"Bandit, get back here! I haven't dried you off yet!" he called after the dog.

Rolling her eyes, Jo laughed, snagging a towel from the laundry pile and crouching to catch the wet puppy as she bounded into the kitchen and into her arms. "Look at you, all smelling of soap!" she crowed, letting the little dog lick her nose even as she rubbed the towel over the wet fur.

Dean came skidding into the kitchen after her, clothes soaked from the bath. He blew out an exasperated breath, hands on hips, but failing to look very stern. "There you are, you little troublemaker!"

Bandit gave him a rather wicked look from her towel-hug in Jo's arms, barking cheerfully in answer. Jo snorted. "Look at the state of you," she said in amusement. "Did you get in with her?"

"You don't want to see the bathroom," Dean grumbled. Summer couldn't come soon enough so he could give the dog a bath outside, where he didn't have to worry about her making a mess. "Where's Sam?" he asked, deciding Jo had Bandit well in hand and moving to pour himself a cup of coffee before he headed back upstairs to set the bathroom - and himself - to rights.

Chuckling, Jo lifted Bandit up and sat down at the table, drying the exuberant little puppy on her lap. "He's gone home to get his head on right before Becky gets home," she told her husband. "They've got some stuff to talk about."

Dean winced as he took a sip of his coffee, but not because the coffee wasn't to his liking. "That doesn't sound good," he said as he took a lean against the counter, perfectly happy to let Jo take over puppy duty.

"It was mostly good, but it sounds like something big is coming," she said, proceeding to fill Dean in with the pertinent details.

"Son of a bitch," Dean murmured, once Jo had filled him in. "Freaking Poseidon. Probably still jealous he didn't get to be King s*** of Turd Island," he said, putting it bluntly. "Why does it always seem like we get rid of one problem only to have to deal with another?"

"That's life?" she suggested, with a half shrug, gently lifting Bandit down onto the floor. "Go on, trouble, find a toy and have a nap." The little dog wagged her tail happily, trotting off into the living room to amuse herself. "Thing is, I think only Sam and Becky, and maybe Ayden, are going to be able to get any kind of hint about what's going on here. We're going to have to wait."

"That's not life, Jo," Dean disagreed. "That our life ... lives," he corrected. He watched as the furry, little troublemaker waddled off. "I don't like waiting," he grumbled, predictably. He was not the type to take a wait and see approach. He was much more accustomed to charging into action and letting the chips fall where they may, but this was Sam and Becky they were talking about. "Did he at least seem more confident about his place here?"

"He did," she nodded, leaning onto her arms. "You know, we're going to have grandkids in a few years' time. And our kids are going to go their own, by their own choice."

An unintentional grin flashed across Dean's face, followed by a more characteristic groan. "I'm too young to be a grandpa," he said, clearly referring to himself, not Jo. He knew it wasn't the little ones who would be giving them grandchildren any time soon so much as Sam and Becky. "Kid's gonna give me gray hair, I swear."

"Speak for yourself," she countered. "I'm looking forward to being a young gramma. He's kind of freaked out at the thought of not getting his kids, though. Like you were when you came back from your little sight-seeing trip."

Dean slid onto a chair across from her, fingers wrapped around the half-finished cup of coffee in his hand. "What do you mean?" he asked, brows furrowed. "Freaked out that something will change things and he won't be a father?"

"Yeah," she nodded. "He's worried that Becky's not going to survive whatever's coming."

"Well, we're just gonna have to make sure that doesn't happen," Dean said, as if that much went without saying. "Anyway, he didn't see what I saw. I saw a version of the future where the whole world was going to hell. Literally. Sounds like everything turned out okay in his version. That's a good sign, I think."

"I agree. And we know that something or someone is going to go after Becky, unlike last time. We can put some additional protections on her." Jo seemed fairly confident that everything was going to be fine.

"We will," Dean said, leaving no room for argument, even if Becky didn't like it. "You think anyone knows Sam took a peek at the future?" he asked. Anyone besides them, anyway. He wasn't even sure if Ayden would tell Ares, but they had no choice but to trust him. The God of War was his brother-in-law now.

"I would assume that Ayden has told Ares, but she is kind of the personification of seeing the future right now," Jo pointed out. "He's honorable enough that he wouldn't pass on anything without her say-so."

"He knows she'd kick his ass if he did," Dean murmured. Not literally maybe, but she certainly wouldn't be happy with him. Another thought occurred to Dean, but he was pretty sure he was over-reacting. "You think she's safe with him?" he asked, not for the first time. His sister was as good as immortal these days, but he worried what might happen if Poseidon found out Ayden was poking her nose into the future.

Samuel Winchester

• Young Wyrm
    • View Profile
    • Disposable Heroes
Re: A Peek at the Future
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2020, 06:03:13 PM »
"I think Ares would throw away everything to keep Ayden safe," Jo said confidently. "Doesn't he have past issues with Poseidon, too? The wet dude doesn't really have much in the way of friendly relations on Olympus, as I recall."

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend," Dean murmured. "Well, the most important thing is keeping Becky safe," he added. Family was family, after all. "We should probably tell Bobby and Ellen." That much went without saying.

"We will," she nodded. "Do you want to pass it on to Kirsten and Loki as well, or would that be spreading the news too far?"

Dean winced at the mention of Loki. He still wasn't too sure about that particular god's loyalties. He felt the same about Gabriel and Crowley. They were allies, so long as they wanted the same things, but he trusted them about as far as he could throw them. "I don't know. I trust Kirsten, but the jury's still out on Loki."

"All right." Jo smiled at him. "We can hold off on that until we have more concrete evidence to go on. Right now, it's just a possible vision of the future."

"So, until we know more, we wait," Dean said, reiterating what Jo had already suggested, as much as he hated waiting. "But there has to be something we can do," he muttered to himself.

"We can prep," she said gently. "We have the means to kill Olympians if we have to. Maybe we can do a little research of our own to expand that armory some."

Dean nodded in agreement. "I don't think it's wise to ask Ayden to poke around anymore in the future. There are too many variables. But I'd like to know if she has any visions."

"It sounds like that's what she's doing," Jo said. "She's pretty sensible, and she can't force a vision. She'll have to wait to have something come to her anyway."

"I wish we'd have kept Death's Scythe. That thing was awesome," Dean said, though he didn't really want to make an enemy of Death. It was the one weapon that seemed to trump all the others.

Jo raised a brow. "You could always ask for it back," she teased gently, but she knew full well that was only something they could do as a last resort.

"Yeah, I'm sure that would go over well," Dean said with a snort. He finished off what was left of his coffee before pushing to his feet. "I need to take a shower," he said, pausing a moment, a slightly lecherous grin on his face. "Care to join me?"

His invitation brought a smile to her face. "I think I could be persuaded," she agreed. "Care to persuade me?"

He reached for her hand to pull her to her feet, his arms sliding around her waist. "How much persuasion will it take?" he asked, still grinning.

"Oh, you know me," she murmured, looping her arms about his shoulders. "Push my buttons, and I'm putty in your hands." She grinned, lifting up onto her toes to brush that grin tenderly to his own.

"How much time do we have?" he asked, once he'd returned her kiss, taking his time to savor her lips. He knew the kids were at Bobby and Ellen's but how much longer were they expected to be there?

She glanced at the clock on the wall. "I think we've got another hour before they bring them back," she mused, her smile now becoming inviting as she tilted her head to him.

"You wash my back and I'll wash yours?" he teased, eyes bright with amusement and a little bit of something else. Jo might be with child, but that had never slowed their love life down.

"Now that sounds like a lot of fun," she admitted. "Can I wash your front too?" Eyes sparkling with mischievous desire, she winked at him.

"So long as I can wash yours," he said, touching another kiss to her lips, soft and teasing, before taking her hand to lead her toward the stairs. He peeked into the living room, but it looked like Bandit had tuckered herself out.

With the little dog passed out and snoring on the couch, and the children safely with Ellen and Bobby for the next hour or so, the Winchesters had leisure to just enjoy each other, savoring their closeness for a little while in absolute privacy. With trouble on the horizon, moments like this might become few and far between. It was a good idea to savor them.

Never let it be said that Dean and Jo didn't know how to make the most of every moment alone, knowing just how precious those moments were. They'd been given a second chance at life, and neither of them intended to waste it.

And no jumped up merman was going to destroy that second chance in a fit of pique, either. If Poseidon was out there looking for a fight, then the Winchesters would definitely provide it.