Author Topic: Retribution  (Read 298 times)

Yana Triem

• Young Wyrm
    • View Profile
Re: Retribution
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2017, 02:04:37 PM »
Fortunately, they had a decent stock of food to choose from in the galley, but right now, making her something to eat was the least of their problems. "I was thinking it might be good to have a mechanic on board," he told her, lifting her hand to touch a kiss to her palm. He wasn't sure why he'd done it exactly, except that he'd wanted to.

If he'd thought Yana had softened by bringing his sister clothes and towels, it was nothing to the way she seemed to melt as his lips brushed her palm. Contentious their relationship might be, but neither one was immune to the other. Her thumb passed softly over his lips as she smiled up at him. "Someone who isn't going to impale herself on necessary equipment while tinkering, huh?" she teased, citing her own clumsiness. "Kay, even if she had no practical skills at all, she'd be welcome on board. You know that, right?"

He hadn't kissed her hand because he'd wanted to soften her up or manipulate her into agreeing to keep his sister around, but he couldn't deny he'd been worried. "I don't know what we're going to do now," he said, not having thought too much about what they might do once Trethin was dead. If Orsk kept his part of the bargain, they'd have enough money now to do whatever they wanted - if only they could figure out what that was.

"How about we take it one step at a time?" she suggested, squeezing his hand as she drew him away from the engine room toward the galley. She smirked at the sight of BB-D2 standing guard outside Mira's room, as though either of them might try to burst in while his mistress was occupied with the 'fresher. "We get back to Rhy'Din, we check in with Orsk, we make sure all our debts are paid off, we celebrate for a night. Then we can talk about what happens next. All three of us."

All three of us. Kalen couldn't help but smile at that. It seemed she'd meant it when she'd said she wasn't going anywhere, and he couldn't help but feel relieved to know she was happy to include Mira in their little circle. "That sounds like a plan," he replied, his hand still in hers and making no attempt to pull away as they started toward the galley.

[Friend-Kalen, your chosen life mate is very small.] The beeping of BB-D2 followed them as they went past him. [The odds of losing her in your bed are 31-to-1.]

Yana glanced over her shoulder at the droid. "I'm going to have to learn to speak droid, aren't I?" she said in amusement.

Kalen chuckled at BB's remarks, which, thankfully, Yana did not understand ... yet. "Didn't anyone ever tell you it's impolite to talk about someone when they can't understand Droid?" he asked the droid as they moved past. "You might be better off not knowing what he's saying," he told Yana, mostly in jest.

Yana rolled her eyes, ignoring the whistle from the droid as they passed him by. "So he's talking about me, then," she inferred with a faint grin. "Let me guess ... something about how I'm bad for you because of all the rude words I used when I had to push him out of my way earlier?"

Kalen chuckled again at her guess. He couldn't remember when the last time was that he'd really felt like laughing. "He thinks you're small," he told her, leaving the part about the life-mate and getting lost in his bed out.

"He's right, I am small," she shrugged. "Not as small as him. Or as heavy." She said that last part just a little louder, grinning at the offended beep that echoed along the corridor back at her. "We'll get along fine," she promised Kalen. "He's just going to have to get used to me."

"I'd forgotten about BB. He belonged to Rhel," Kalen told her, furrowing his brows in thought as they passed the captain's quarters before arriving at the galley. "I am still not sure how she came to be on Faraxen," he mused aloud. Oh, he knew what she'd told him, but it still puzzled him.

Yana frowned with him thoughtfully, taking up a lean against the main counter in the galley. "I doubt she knows the truth of it herself," she said in a pensive tone. "It's probably somewhere in those files we're handing off to Orsk - he'll let us know if he finds it." Mentioning Orsk, however, brought her own father to mind, and the message that she would have to give to the Bothan seven years out of date. Her expression darkened for a moment.

"What is it?" He asked, observant enough to notice the change in her expression, even as he moved about the galley gathering up the various items he needed to up something to fill the empty hole in his sister's stomach.

His voice rescued her from dipping deeper into those thoughts and embarrassing herself with tears again. "Just thinking about that holo," she sighed heavily, shaking her head. "That belongs to Orsk, too. Might have to sub more into his take from Trethin's holdings to cover what should have gone to the people Hix mentioned." Hix, not Dad, not father. That was almost cold.

He frowned over at her, his expression full of concern and sympathy. Here she was with a father who hadn't shown her any affection, and him with a father who'd never told him the truth of his parentage. "We're quite the pair, aren't we?" he asked, not really expecting an answer. "Orsk doesn't need to see the holo, you know," he pointed out, though he didn't want to start that partnership on the wrong foot.

Her smile was rueful. "Yes, he does," she countered reluctantly. "He knows who those people are; I don't. I've never heard those names before. If ..." She drew in a shaky breath. "If they were important to Hix, then they might not know what happened to him. Orsk should let them know."

"I suppose," he reluctantly agreed, though knowing what he did now of her so-called father, he didn't think the man was much better than Trethin. "Mira said some men came for her after Rhel was killed and that her mother told her to go with them. I assume they were Trethin's men. Do you think they threatened her?" he asked, changing the subject, but only because it was all sort of related in a strange sort of way.

"Gods, I don't know, Kay," she sighed. She couldn't even begin to guess at what had happened to take Mira away from her mother. "BB was there, wasn't he? Maybe you should ask him. Anything we talk about here is just going to be conjecture."

"Mm," he murmured thoughtfully, as he poured out some liquid egg mixture onto a pan and folded in some cheese. "Don't you think he would have already told Mira anything he knew?" he asked, though he wasn't too sure. It was hard to say where a droid was concerned.

"Would she have asked?" Yana shrugged. "She was just a little girl, and Rhel sounds like the kind of man who would program that droid to protect her at all costs. That includes her psychological and emotional well-being, you know. After a few years of non-answers, I know I'd stop asking."
[img:99a72dca1b]http://i.imgur.com/4ruMlda.gif[/img:99a72dca1b]

Yana Triem

• Young Wyrm
    • View Profile
Re: Retribution
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2017, 02:05:05 PM »
Put that way, there was no telling what the little droid might know that he wasn't saying, but Kalen wasn't as concerned about his own past as he was about Yana's and Mira's. "Orsk might know something about your mother," he suggested as he flipped the egg mixture.

She snorted derisively. "I don't want to know," was her harsh response. "She abandoned us. One day she was there; she put me to bed, she told me to have sweet dreams, and the next morning, she was gone. Hix wasn't back for three days, Kay. She left a five year old alone for three days. Completely alone. I still remember eating what I could find out of the trash can."

He wasn't going to make excuses for her parents, not when he was only just beginning to understand his own past. Some people just had no business having children, it seemed. "If I am ever lucky enough to have a family, I will make sure I am there for them." It wasn't exactly a promise - not to her, anyway, but to himself. As fond as he'd been of Rhel, smuggling was no way to bring up a child.

"They'll be lucky children to have you for a father." It was a compliment, but edged with the by-now-familiar wariness. It was going to take time for Yana to really, truly believe that he wasn't going anywhere without her. "And Mira seems like she'd be a great aunt, though your kids would likely end up covered in grease and flying A-Wings without your permission."

Though he hinted at some of his dreams to Orsk, he'd yet to say much about them to Yana, taking things, as she'd said, one step at a time. "I'm sorry about Hix, querida. I know you were hoping for more." He wasn't really sure what else he could do or say to ease her pain. He had already promised he wasn't going anywhere; she would just have to take him at his word.

Her expression was pained for a moment, internally forcing that pain away before it could intrude further. This time was about Kalen and his sister, not about her and her silly hopes. ?I can?t talk about it,? she said quietly. ?Not yet, anyway. Maybe if we find out more, I?ll be able to explain why I was such an idiot over a holo that doesn?t even belong to me.?

"You don't have to explain," Kalen told her, but whether that was because an explanation wasn't needed for him to understand or whether he just didn't want her to think she was obligated to give him an explanation, he didn't say. He slid the omelette onto a plate and poured a glass of milk made from a powdered milk mixture that was unlikely to spoil.

"Yes, I do," she argued gently. "But ... only to you, and not before I'm ready. I don't want to mar this reunion with your sister just because I'm screwed up, Kay." She touched his hand with tentative fingers, offering an almost shy smile. "I'll go get Mira out of the 'fresher and check on our course."

?You're not screwed up, Yana," he assured her. If she was screwed up, then so was he. It occurred to him that the three of them were quite the trio, all of them screwed up in their own way, and mostly because of the faults and failings of their parents. He offered a soft, hopefully reassuring, smile and leaned down to touch a kiss to her lips. "Nothing's changed, Yana," he told her, reminding her without saying so that he wasn't going anywhere.

"Yes, it has," she smiled in response, her lips brushing his tenderly for a brief moment. "But in the best way." She squeezed his hand, stepping back to venture out of the galley in search of his little sister. Things had changed, but definitely for the better. Instead of alone, they were together. It was a good place to be planning a new life from, free of debts and obligations to anyone but themselves. Would that life be without its troubles? She hoped not. Yana Triem enjoyed getting into hot water every now and then.
[img:99a72dca1b]http://i.imgur.com/4ruMlda.gif[/img:99a72dca1b]