Author Topic: Star Fall  (Read 2364 times)

Elemmiire Rei

• Young Wyrm
    • View Profile
Re: Star Fall
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2015, 03:50:04 PM »
Purple eyes studied that smile and the edge it held, before rising to starry eyes that were frankly impossible to read upon such short acquaintance, as it were.  He frowned as he learned, listened, heard. Felt. "So by taking back your rightful place in the Heavens you were taking on slavery, in fact, or at least a form of it. Did you know that would happen?" One finger held up for that question he would like to know the answer to.

Another finger rose. "In a place like this constancy in relationships is not exactly fostered or even encouraged.  She was with some guy named Patch for three years after you, and then was with Ezekiel Pearrce for another nigh on three years, close enough to make it three, at least.  That's two in six years, and whatever else she may have done quickly or frequently, she at least has more constancy than most in Rhydin, if you count those two rather long lasting relationships. If you don't, and you are certainly free to do as you like there, then you disregard her loyalty to the men she has loved.  She didn't cheat on either of them, and nor did she with you, and your relationship with her was no longer than three months, I think?  I don't know, but do not judge where you have no compassion.  

If you had the strength and power to do as you wanted, perhaps things would have been different."  Another finger rose up. "What is it you now seek to do?  Why are you here? How are you here? What is your goal or goals?" Four fingers. Four things he wanted to know.

All at once, the death of a star happened in one eye while the birth of another exploded in the other. "Petulant  child." This was Kakabel's immediate response. His frown was as severe, if not more so, than before. He placed his hands flat on the table and stood to loom over the boy. "And how long have you known this mother you rise to the defense of, boy? How short a time has it been since your release from the prison that kept you where none of us, not even me with my army of stars, could see you. Talk to you."

He pointed a long, strong finger at Rei's face. "In all that time, I was searching. For you.  For the prayers she sent to me, every night, that I had not the power to answer. Don't you dare question me and my loyalties. In all this time, I have taken no other wife. No one."

He pressed his finger sharply and quickly to the table. "Remember that. We're done here." He stepped out of the booth then and marched for the door.

"At least she has someone to defend her, which is more than you have."  He rose, too, and simply watched his father leave.

Rage tried to climb up his throat and take a hand, but he quelled it, throttled it, and it sank with murmuring and complaining.  A deep breath was pulled in and then his eyes swept the assembled. Turbulent, stormy eyes.  He reached for his cup and headed for the break in the bar.

Kakabel pulled open the door and scoffed, pausing to look back at Rei. "I am a soldier, boy. I need no one to defend me. If I remember well, your mother is a willful woman who needs no gallant knight to rise to her defense either. Now if you'll excuse me, I have duties to attend to." With that, he swept out the door. Just as the door was shutting in his wake, a swirl of speckled black feathers rose up from his feet like a whirlwind and swallowed him up, imploding as if the lot of man and wings were being sucked into a black hole, and then he was gone.

He pulled up short as he father spoke again, but there was no time for a response.  He watched the departure with narrowed eyes.  To the one now gone he murmured. "And yet you would wave the flag of her supposed inconstancy before me.  Bastich."  

Then he marched on behind the bar and washed his cup out. He would like to have served it to his father, right through his teeth. Rei set the cup into the drain with exquisite delicacy, the opposite of his desire, but such was good training.  

The mongrel gazed down at the swing of metal which reflected light, the pendant almost seeming to mock him.  He gave a little snarl and shoved it under his black tee, before spinning and heading out the gap in the bar.

Perhaps it was a bit of overheard conversation, something about people who matter. Whatever it was, it sent Rei with an embittered mumble out the front door, though he did manage a respectful nod to Thorn and Les. Today...is not a good day. With that, he was gone.

Elemmiire Rei

• Young Wyrm
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2015, 04:06:27 PM »
(This is from their next encounter, 7 months later in the Southern Glen.)

Settled on a rock of all places, near a smallish pond, the forest came right up to the edges of the small clearing, and even curved overhead, almost touching in the middle over the water.  It was a greeny- gloom that added to the overcast grays overhead.  It felt like an underwater tunnel, the wavelets of the water making the greens blend and dance.  A little trickle of water fell from the rock wall at the back of the pond, a tiny waterfall.  It made a pleasant, soothing sound that eased over water and rock.  

Rei was on a big boulder that was long and low to the ground, with nice smooth space for the buttocks.  He was looking at the amulet he wore, one hand holding it up before him, eyes closed and his mind concentrating on calling his father.

There was no dramatic display to note his arrival. Hardly even a tingle at the back of the neck to make the hairs stand on end as one might expect.  

The universe consisted of as much dark as it did light, and the general had centuries of practice slipping between the cracks. This particular crack happened to exist between a pair of young trees to Rei's left.

The creature that had sired him stepped into the clearing on bare feet. His clothes were a tattered ensemble of half-shredded business casual. Instead of initiating this meeting with a greeting, he arrived with a bit of advice. "One should be careful how loudly one thinks around these parts. You never know who, or what, might be listening in."

And then, as he stepped a respectable distance closer, giving the mongrel at least five feet of space, he said, "Good afternoon, Rei." The grigori smiled just a little without a thought. Despite their previous encounter, he was pleased to see the boy.

He felt the presence, the sudden thereness that came with his father.  Rei was rather startled by the shock of relief that he felt shoot through him.  He hadn't thought the Angel would come. His eyes opened and he looked up and around, finding the other with unerring tracking.

Purples rested on the image of his da and then an expression of concern slid over the mongrel's features. The tattered appearance was wholly unlike his father, as far as he had heard, at least.  It was very unlike Kabe.  The words the other spoke drew a wry half-smile from the sculpted lips that were so like his father's.

"If it was loud enough to reach you, then the purpose was served, I think?"  He slid easily from the boulder and studied Kabe. "Are you - well?"  Gesturing to the clothing. He himself was in the usual blue jeans, white tee, and boots, with his hair all anyhow down his back.

"Your words need not be loud to reach my ears..." There was an extra word left hanging there. Mouth hung open for a hesitant moment, but closed to form a smile. A single distant start twinkled in the exterior corner of his right eye.

He accepted the change of subject graciously, looking down at himself with arms spread and a raise of brows that suggested he was only just now aware of his apparent state. "Oh. This?" He chuckled, looking up with dismissive sweep of his right hand. "Wild goose chase gone awry. I assure you I am perfectly well. You needn't be concerned."

Turning aside, he looked out over the little pond, then tipped up his head to observe the overcast sky with a slightly vexed smirk. "A change in attire will have to wait, I'm afraid." Lowering his chin, he turned again to look at Rei. "So. What can I do for you today?"

Elemmiire Rei

• Young Wyrm
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2015, 04:12:37 PM »
The mongrel wondered what word or words he had missed, or that were held back.  A somber expression was on his face as he contemplated the man who'd made him. The smile on Kabe's mouth was lingered over for several seconds.  Many things crowded his mind, his heart, and struggled for dominance in his throat.  He wasn't really convinced about the goose chase business, but he didn't feel they were close enough for him to press. Not yet, at least.  

"It doesn't matter what you wear.  That you are here is what counts."  That's what came out of the mess in his throat.  He looked down for a moment at his feet. For inspiration?  "It isn't what you can do for me.  I just...I'd like another chance to...."  To what?  He sighed. "I've been doing a lot of thinking.  The past isn't really where I want to live. Not anymore."  He looked up.  Eyes shimmering with a possibly rather pathetic puppyish hope.

Even with eyes made entirely of the universe, shrunken down to scale, Kakabel managed to express surprise. His brows inclined and he lifted his chin. The grigori might have found his son's words as equally suspect as Rei did his story of a wild goose chase. After a rather long, stunned moment, the first thought that spilled out as words from the general's mouth was, "I see."

Curiosity welled in the churning of an entire microscopic galaxy. The scrub of his hand over his mouth was a rather human expression, as was the clearing of his throat when that hand fell away to his side again. "Might I ask what brought you to this rather enlightened conclusion?" Not that he was complaining, mind you. The angel had come expecting another angsty teen rant. Not... not this.

In a gesture that was not meant to be a mimic of his father, but yet still managed to be, left hand rose to rub at the base of his neck, under the silver net of hair.  Rei had done some growing in this past near year.

"When it comes down to it, we all treat the ones we care about like crap.  It's in our natures."  The hand dropped to dig fingers into the front pocket of his jeans. "At some point, Ilhar found something in you worth loving.  You found something worth loving in her.  That, right there, that's what counts, yeah?"   He paused again, and shrugged one shoulder, muscle rippling under the tee shirt. "I don't want to miss out on having a da just because things change.  They always change.  If you'd stayed together who knows how good it would be? It just..doesn't really have to matter, does it, to you and me?"

"No, it doesn't." There again was the slight raise of the brows. Kakabel was surprised, impressed. One might even say a little proud at his son's newfound wisdom. "Whether or not your mother and I had remained together to this day is entirely irrelevant to my relationship to you."

The grigori rubbed his jaw in pause and took a step closer to the pond and once more looked out over the water. "She and I need not be wed for me to be a father to you, if that is your desire." Turning back, he looked at Rei again with a little smirk and a literal twinkle in his eye. "Though you are a grown man now and not in need of much parenting, I should like to try, if you'd allow me to... as they say... be here for you when I can. There is much I would like to pass on to you. So much."

Elemmiire Rei

• Young Wyrm
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2015, 04:17:36 PM »
For the first time, Rei saw something of what his mother must have found beguiling and even charming in the patrician figure (nevermind the lack of decent garb) in front of him.  He felt a pull on his heartstrings, as they say.  A firm tug towards the man who was his father.

At the latter words he gave a slightly frustrated snort, for he didn't feel he was terribly grown, but something in him was very intrigued about what might be there to be passed on.  

He smiled at his father, that shark's grin that sliced like a knife that yet hurt so sweetly.  "I think I've managed to run around like an infant for far too long as it is.  I don't feel like I've reached a level that doesn't need at least a little parenting, really." Wait.  What was he saying? His eyes widened a little and there went the hand rub on his neck again. "I mean..I dun want you poking your nose into-like-where I spent the  night or s***e like that."  Faded charcoal skin flushed on his cheeks. Actually flushed! "But yeah, I would like to ...to have a da.  A da that cares 'bout me."  Almost shy, that line.

Kakabel laughed, rich sound that only expressed his amusement. There was nothing mocking at all in the sound. "Oh, Rei." He stepped close enough to extend an arm and set a hand on the mongrel's shoulder. The grigori was warm and real and solid. "You've always had that, my son."

His hand gave a squeeze and his expression softened, twisting down into something more sorrowful. "My deepest regret is having failed to guide you more directly." His chin tipped up to turn that galactic gaze upon the overcast sky. After a thoughtful pause he tipped his chin back down to regard Rei's face. "I am working to remedy that, and I'm sorry it's taking so much time."

The laugh startled him, his eyes opening wide as he heard it, but the tone of it was clearly not offensive.  Hearing his name said like that, and then the feeling of that big hand landing on his shoulder did strange things to his throat, making it feel thickened, made his eyes feel suddenly rather full. How ridiculous. Man up, Rei!  

He sucked in a long, slow breath and gave a nod to the words spoken. "I believe you.  And yeah, crap happens.  Can't get round that, try as we might."  He knew that pretty well.  He frowned then, again looking over those ripped and torn clothes. "Ilharn, I know you are trying to do that, you said somethin' like that before.  But - "  His hand lifted to gesture to the clothing. "You sure you--is there anything I can--I mean, I know I can't go up there, but--"  He wanted his father to not get hurt!  "You sure you can stay safe? "

With another resonant laugh, he lifted his hand from Rei's shoulder and turned it to touch a light shove to the side of the mongrel's neck before he withdrew his arm entirely from his space. "My Father is Love. Even centuries ago I was not made undone for my transgressions. I've survived Hell and mortality. This...?" He made a sweeping gesture to indicate his filthy present state. "I say again, you needn't worry. This is nothing. A minor hiccup." Looking back at Rei, he smiled, just a little. "Though I do appreciate your concern."

The mongrel nodded to what Kabe said.  The grigori knew his own business best, after all.  Purples fixed on that little smile, and then he spoke. "I've always been concerned for you. And even during the times I was most bitter and antagonistic towards you...part of me hoped, always hoped, that somehow we'd rise above all that and ...and get to be father and son."  Okay, he'd overdone his raw emotions and confiding trust levels, today.  His voice roughened a bit. "I gots ta go.  You know how 'tis, got some folks waiting."  A pause. "Thanks for coming." Oh, understatement.

"Of course." A minor constellation sparkled in the depths of his eyes. "Circumstances are not always favorable, but I do try to come when I can. Rest assured that even if I do not, I always hear you." Taking a step back, he tipped his chin up to regard the gloomy sky.

"If you ever feel lost--" There was pause and a smirk when he turned his attention back down on his son. "--read the horoscopes. You might think it corny, as so many people do, but don't forget who taught men how to read the stars." The expression lingered, something bordering on mischief with a mixture of fondness. "Farewell for now, my son."

On that note, the grigori turned to walk back between the two trees whose shadows he had used as a doorway too arrive in the first place, and took his leave.

Rei smiled, he couldn't help it, at  what his father said. That he always heard him.  That and the horoscope bit.  He'd been one to think them rather silly, but from this day he would look into them. Oh, yes he would. He lifted a hand and then turned to go himself.