Author Topic: Sanctus Espiritus  (Read 1588 times)

Gemethyst

• Young Wyrm
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2015, 09:22:43 PM »
Gem smiled at the comments about Kabe, a nod coming in agreement for them, though she doubted Kabe would see it that way. "I am not going to get in the middle of it. I told him to stop talking about me and to stop defending me.  If Rei wants something with his...rather patrician father...I think he will have to learn to just deal with Kabe's...opinions. He isn't one to change them, be they right or wrong. "

A flicker of pain again swept her mobile face as Vadriel mentioned Ezekiel.  "Indeed, she does. And so it is that things will change. I do not rush that fence, though.  I plan.  Carefully." Again, there was that sinister undertone to her voice that went oddly with the Gem most people saw and thought they knew.

"And yes, my boy is strong. He will recover from his hurt with Salvador, and he will find something that works for him, whatever that may be."  The cig was sucked on rather fiercely then.

"You could sing Kakabel's praises and he would still assume Rei's caution entirely as a result of your opinions, and no fault of his own. I never understood the readiness of the others to accept him back, nor the call which summoned him away again." Rare disapproval. Vadriel forgave masochistically, and yet Kakabel had never been the recipient of that same leniency. "Should you require assistance when the time comes for your plan to see fruition, call on me if I may be of service," he murmured, the anthracite ends of his hair licking over his collar as he tipped his head into the chair's back.

It mattered not how he lounged. He never appeared less than perfect of posture, the line of his brows drawn into an eloquent little knot above the bridge of his nose. New arrivals did not tempt his attention from current company, but it required adjustment. For the first time that afternoon, a glassy vagueness settled over the doctor's somber eyes, and his expression smoothed out into mask-like serenity. A heartbeat, two, and focus returned, though he looked mildly disappointed at the unintended lapse.

The elfess gave a nod to the Heretic, the words regarding Kabe very similar to her own thoughts on the matter.  Sadness welled up in her soul, but it was a long time back and too much water under the bridge.  She was not alone, and he would not have cared if she had been so, she was sure. The elf could not have trusted it again even if he had, not after that first time.

"Well, you know. From General of the Armies of God to Fallen, and then back up to not so Fallen...and then offered that first job again. How could I compete with that.?"  Her eyes slid over to the arrival of Helena, and her voice instinctively lowered. It wouldn't do to spill private emotions and such. "He wanted it so very much, Vadriel. How could I deny him that?"  She had given him her heart, she had given, even, her wings when the time came, despite the literal agony of doing so, and despite the eternity of loss it thrust her into.

The elf lifted a hand to wave it to Cane when she saw him arrive as well.  Then her attention went right back to Vadriel. She noted his lapse, if he must call it that, such as it was, and she smiled when he came back to control. "Oh, that was well done.  Really, it was." He might see it as a lapse, but she saw it as a successful attempt at control.

"And yes, I shall very likely take you up on that offer regarding my...little treasure."   She sipped her tea again and found it mostly gone.

"Regarding Mesteno and his Godson, Rei is very determined to learn the language, and I think...I think he wants to spend more time with Mesteno. Maybe bond a little." She smiled over at Cane and wehn she saw Benjamin her heart lifted within her.

Gemethyst

• Young Wyrm
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2015, 09:26:59 PM »
So adorable!  Benjamin was all light, lithe steps, elegant in dusty gray and denim with a few wraps of summertime green linen around his chest and shoulder.  The better to tote around about eight pounds of cute, a denim baby bag off of his other shoulder.  

His smile was lighter than air as he turned to bump his way into the tea shop.  "Cheers," he called, heading for the counter.  "Cheers!? The actor greeted those who had come into the Tomes.  Then a wave to the shop girl.  "Pot of blueberry and white tea.  And goodies."

"There are some who obey more readily than others," he confessed, and of course harshly critical despite the readiness with which she chose to compliment his little victory. His enduring patience had limits after all. How strange that the two he'd spare none for were Kakabel and himself.

"Your sacrifices were honourable, and I cannot fault you for them. I would have followed the same course entirely. Cassiel would have had me believe his brother was not at fault, but I could not forgive him even at his urgings." Not that Kakabel would have cared in the slightest. They'd always been readily dismissive of one another, even before Gem's involvement. "Rei's choice of role-model is not what I would have expected," he admitted, somewhat wryly. "You've no concern he might develop undesirable habits?" It was possible he teased, and yet humour came so rarely to that deep, bass voice, it was difficult to identify.

With Gem offering greetings to the oddly bitten man across the room, Vadriel inclined his head behind the scrim of cigar smoke, a congenial greeting from the violet eyed doctor.

Ben humorously pointed to Nyx.  Showing her off?  He was.  So sue him. Right!  Showing off Nyx.  Getting Tea.  He's there.

The stranger toting the child could only result in one reasonable action. Vadriel extinguished his cigar immediately, and waved the remnant smoke towards the nearest open window.

Of course Vadriel would think of that. Gem, too, had put her cigarette out when she saw the Englishman.  Her smile lit her face upon sight of him and the bairn, both.  "Benjamin!  Oh, bring my babe over to me noooow, please?", pathetically eager to have her child in her arms.

Her bright face turned to the Doctor across from her in his own arm chair. "Vadriel, this is Benjamin Piers.  I mentioned him."  Her face flushed again, an odd sort of shyness there, after their conversation about her circle. "Ben, come and meet a very dear friend of mine.  This is Vadriel de Guise. He is a doctor among many things.  He has saved my life more than once."  

She smiled at them both, but her eyes were glued to the little speck of head that bobbed along with Ben, with its shining nimbus of fine black hair standing straight up. "Nyx...oh, Nyx!"

Ben smiled as he picked up his tea, and nodding politely to Vadriel, headed towards Gem and the man.  "We decided to come looking for you," he noted, amused.

"I am so glad you did, Ben!"  The elf rose up to take her bairn from the front of Benjamin, and then tucked her into her arms as she sank back down on her armchair, nuzzling and cooing to the little Nyx. Nyx squealed with a high pitched delight at being so clever as to have discovered her mother.

Gemethyst

• Young Wyrm
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2015, 09:28:43 PM »
The quiet little tea shop had begun to fill rather rapidly, but the numbers could not contend with the sea of refugee tents he'd tended lately. Where once he'd have succumbed to pressure from the great unseen and permitted the entourage to ferry him back to solitude, he resisted. Instead, he watched with exhausted, but undeniably gentle eyes as Benjamin approached with Gem's newborn.

"Benjamin. I've heard much about you, Jack and Lirinel. A pleasure to meet you." He was on his feet of course, a great, looming tower of a man prone to dwarfing his seats. And an Englishman to boot. Not many of those about that he'd ever come across. The greeting was abruptly cut short however. He'd every intention of being introduced to Nyx, suffering none of some of the arrivals debilitating baby-allergies.

?Kiss me, Ben,? the elf asked.

He sputtered a laugh and unwrapped Nyx even as Gem took her.  A smile up to Vadriel - he was not a big man by any means.   "Lovely to meet you, I hope..."  A flush of cheeks and laugh, he bowed, then leaned over to give -give!- a kiss to Gem.  "Pardon, Vadriel, but you know, can't deny a lady's wishes."  Cheeky grin despite the flushed skin.

As more folk came in, she smiled at them, Cris, Sal out there somewhere, and the stranger Oz, and then Shae, too, with warm friendliness, but did not take her attention off the group at the hearth.  The elf smiled up at Ben as he complied with her request. Demand. Yes. "Ben, have a seat or sit here? "  She nudged the arm of her armchair.  A glance was given over to the very congested area of the door and she gave a little snerk of laughter.

If Vadriel thought anything of Gem demanding kisses, it was difficult to discern. He was too busy observing the dark little head of hair as the child exchanged hands. "Just as you described her," softly, amidst all the noise, as if he was loathe to startle her unintentionally. If adults were off-put by him, why not a child?

Ben easily curled himself to a seat beside Gem, thumping the baby bag to the floor, as if he was used to lugging one around.  Then finally rescued his tea.

Gemethyst

• Young Wyrm
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2015, 09:32:22 PM »
Gem leaned against Ben's side as she cuddled her demanding bairn, and setting the child up so that she could face Vadriel, she smiled at the Doctor. "Meet Nyx, if you please."  

The child, barely three weeks old, wobbled her head and one fist came up to the side of her mouth, which had her hunting for it with her lips, but her eyes, great, enormous black eyes, so dark the pupil blended with iris, fixed upon Vadriel. And stayed there. Fixedly.

With the others arranging themselves comfortably, Vadriel folded back down into the seat he'd been occupying, studying Nyx as she, in turn, studied him. Perhaps he'd expected tears - certainly he could imagine there would be some if he requested to be allowed to hold the child (he'd none of the elf's warmth or softness to spare). "She's as lovely as you described her to me. And so very different from Rei and Jewel," he remarked. Vadriel, smiling. A rarity, and utterly transforming.

The elf took in that smile of Vadriel?s and it eased something in her.  She so very much wanted him to be happy and at peace. "Yes, she is, isn't she?  Very different, they all three are, my bairns."  She smiled at her babe, and then nodded to Sal who had come in, as well.  

Then she leaned more against Ben. "Do you have a blanket I can put over a shoulder, Ben?"  What?  Did that mean?  Oh yes.  Might want to reverse stampede out the door, peoples, as Gem was quite prepared to nurse her child right there and then. But at least under a blanket!

Nyx would indeed have cried at being handed to Vadriel, at least for the moment, because that child knew what mamas were for, and now she had one in her clutches, she wasn't going to be happy with anything less than the full Sm?rg?sbord!

"Of course.?  He simply shook out the wrap and draped it over Gem's jubblies and bebe head without comment.

Gem gave a smile to Shae who had entered, with a nod, and then settled the covered babe with deft fingers under said blanket.  In a very short time there was quiet and peace over by the fireplace. The elf leaned back and sighed relief. "Benjamin is an actor, Vadriel.  Ben, Vay is a Doctor." Trying to get the conversational ball rolling.

"I've never played a doctor,"  Ben noted humorously, "Maybe more likely you've treated an actor."

And Vadriel? Had seen Gem sans clothes before, and despite his prudish nature was a doctor. He was not off-put by a nursing mother, and with all so conveniently disguised as it was via well-placed towel, did not follow the example of others and vacate the area. Settling back now that the babe was too obscured to view, his gentle attention drifted back to Benjamin at Gem's subtle direction.

"On occasion. The term 'break a leg' seems to result in an unusual number of actual broken legs here in Rhy'Din," he commented, reaching for his tea again. It was only lukewarm, but that was still a good deal warmer than Vadriel. "Do you act upon the stage, or before the cameras?"

"I know, that's about how I got into acting."  Wide eyes in a doleful face, though his eyes were bright and laughing, "I blame my sister, she said in boca lupis, or whatever it is.  'In the mouth of the wolf'."  Pause.  "Only it was a rattlesnake."  Then the bright smile returned, "Cameras, I play the bad tempered and ambiguously natured shaman mage Sterling in a night time soap opera.  It's a lot of fun."

The elf smiled at the two men wither her near the fire, listening as they interacted.  Was it silly of her to hope they would get along? She did, so it didn't really matter if it was silly or not.  Silver brows rose at the tale of the rattlesnake. Gods!

Gemethyst

• Young Wyrm
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2015, 09:36:27 PM »
Had Gem forgotten that the doctor was socially stunted? His conversational skills were deplorable. Yet he tried, stallingly, to recall the motions of such a thing intended for nothing more than getting acquainted. He had far better luck when he could simply discuss a body's failings with a suffering patient. "You are not harassed by a crowd of obsessive fans? I can only imagine they would be worse here than elsewhere."

Oh, no worries, she hasn?t forgotten that at all. Gem is an old hand at making folk learn to talk to others.

"Here, no.  The production company doesn't allow mention of where we are.  But some places, it's pretty insane.  I usually wear a pretty distinct costume and makeup for the character, so, most times I can blend in,"  he admitted, once more flushing with the wry grin.  For a yardbird, he could be pretty modest, whether or not that made sense.

The elf stared at Ben. After their conversation the night before, she thought he'd have something to say there.  But perhaps it was better not to, considering!!! She smiled at him, then, and leaned in to kiss his arm. Reachable in her current position.

"It's Rhy'Din," he reminded, not unkindly. "There are those amongst its residents who might find it all too simple to find you despite attempts to keep such facts private. Though if your Jack has the same safeguards for his circle as he has for little Nyx, I understand why you need not worry." He imagined a Fae Lord had some interesting tricks at his disposal.

Gem nodded at Vadriel's words, smiling fondly as she set the baby up to burp her. "I think that between us all, we have some pretty good safeguards for each other and for Nyx."  Her eyes smiled up at Ben.

He kept some cards close to his chest.  "We've all learned a few tricks to it here and there,"  he agreed with a flashing grin, "Mainly Lirenel teaches me to keep my house quiet.  I've learned a lot.  And still more to learn."  A cheerful tone to his voice, he did love to learn after all.  Probably more than that.  He chuckled to Gem and leaned to kiss her nose.

Nose kissed, with the infant was dozing, she was suddenly very tired.   Gem was ready to get out of public and have some alone time and maybe some juice.  She was thirsty. "Vadriel, I have loved this. Thank you so much for coming when Mesteno let you know I wanted to see you.  You have my cell number now?  If not, let me type it in? I think I need to head home."

Lirinel was another name Gem has mentioned to him that afternoon, and Vadriel hummed soft approval over the precautions. He'd not want to see Nyx snatched away as Rei had been. "I've no phone," he confessed, and this time it was his turn to sound wry. "Word reached me via other methods. Suffice it to say, I shall know if I'm needed, and will be about as promised. Aurelian will be expecting me back," he added, rising from his seat, but reaching for Gem's hand to offer a squeeze from his own. "Be well my friend. Benjamin, guard them well." As if the actor would do anything but!

"Ben, will you please take me home?" She smiled up at the actor, and then flushed at interrupting Vadriel, and gave him her gamine grin, before letting him take her hand.

He rolled back to his feet easily, then reached down to help Gem and Nyx up.  "Always," he chuckled, "It's lovely to meet you, Vadriel."  He smiled, but there was steel to it.  "I shall."  Simply.

She smiled at the words from the doctor and then leaning in she brushed her hand down his arm, all she would press upon him in a physical farewell. "I shall look for you again, then, and that soon, if you can possibly bear it."  Her voice was soft and loving as she watched the tall, lean fellow. "Stay safe yourself, and ...remember you are one hell of a man."

With that, the doctor parted ways with them, avoiding the crowd who'd been earlier wedged in the door and fast swallowed up by the Rhy'Din eve.

"Oh dear..."  Ben murmured as he noted the crowd was still crowdy, and knew some had Babophobia.  So, he slid an arm around Gem and walked her for the back of the building.  They soon vanished into a fog, and were gone.

Gem watched Vadriel go, that wistful look on her face undeniable, but then she curled an arm into Ben's and followed him.

Lirenel saw the doctor leave as he loitered in the shadows of the rooftops. When Benjamin and Gem vanished into their fog, he stepped back as well... and was gone.