Dragon's Mark Home
Dragon's Mark

Welcome, traveler!
( Member login. Not a member? Register here. )

Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Forum Help

Blab chat test
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dragon's Mark Forum Index -> Ask the Staff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amaltea
DM Admin
DM Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Blab chat test Reply with quote

I need people to test the chat. If you guys could come around and take a look and use it. If you find any errors please post them as a reply to this post.

https://rdi.dragonsmark.com/live-chat/blab.php
Alae
Wyrmling
Wyrmling

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I volunteered to make up a list of things people would like to see worked on, in some order of importance:

1. Character limit - This one is probably what people have identified as being most important.

2. If you put people on ignore they can still private chat you.

3. Autoscroll turning itself off when you try to scroll - This is just annoying; people have asked if it can be disabled

4. Private chat thing is pretty awful; resource hog; in-line PMs are pretty awful

5. Are direct profile links possible? (the avatarness so far is cool!)

6. Room status (though woo AFK button!)

7. I do believe riots will start if the stickers aren't nixed (we could just flog people who use them)

8. Enter/exit messages when people log in/out. Hard to tell who arrived, left, or went AFK

Bloops noticed so far:

1. A few people have seen posts get eaten if they get to the text limit, then try to back space and enter. It's unclear if this is a chat thing or a user side thing, obviously, just worth noting

What people are liking so far:

1. Not idling out, major score

2. Text colors

3. History button and in-chat history, the log whores will approve

4. Having sound options!

5. The overall look

6. Timestamps are nice
Reiko Souma
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

Location: Arcadia, Inn, Palazzo Estate, with Bond and/or heart-family and friends anywhere

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:29 pm    Post subject: Keep! The! Chat! Reply with quote

Yeah yeah, we’ll get the “long time, no see” stuff dealt with another time...

...thanks to Zack Alcar posting the link to this forum on Facebook, I was able to see and test this new chat for myself. The subject line speaks for itself, and for the following reasons - keep in mind that all of my feedback is based on mobile capabilities and accessibility:

Pros:
1. MOBILE-FRIENDLY. IT’S ABOUT TIME.
~ I was still using my mobile Facebook app when I accessed and logged onto the chat. It displayed a version that’s completely compatible for mobile devices.
~ I then accessed the desktop version of what I’m guessing is the same chat(?) from the RDI website, whilst still using my phone (only I used Safari this time), and was able to log on and experiment with the chat some.

2. When logged on via mobile device, at least with an iPhone (iPhone 7, in my case), I can switch between apps without being logged out. I have yet to find out whether it shows me as away whenever I switch to another app or not.

3. Quicker load times and less chances of a lag, at least for the hour that I was online. This will continue to be tested on my end for a longer period of time in the near future, and this will be edited with more details or an amendment.

4. Mobile users can completely hide the list of people who are in the room in the mobile version only so far, which is a serious advantage considering the size of the screen.

Cons:
1. The emoji keyboard for mobile devices doesn’t work, replacing emoji faces with “????,” which is to be expected...although not favoured, considering I honestly think the stickers are a bit lame. No offence.

2. Whilst the desktop version shows all of the possible rooms one can visit, on the mobile version, only the Lobby and Red Dragon’s Inn rooms are visible.

3. I have not yet tested the scrolling function on the desktop version from my phone, but the mobile version has absolutely no option of scrolling up to see old messages whatsoever.

4. Whilst I’m on the subject of viewing the old messages, the “/back #[of messages]” command didn’t work for me on either mode. I don’t know if it works for anyone else, but at least the “/me” command works, albeit with another kind of lame effect (Reiko Souma: Reiko Souma is tired.). The old chat client was way better with this (Reiko Souma is tired.).

5. The character limit should be increased to 750 or 1,000 at most. I believe I counted 150 characters in my limit for mobile users?

6. Facebook app mode only, and this is more on my end: I keep on accidentally hitting the back arrow when I’m trying to access the menu, which ends up taking me back to my Facebook newsfeed...thankfully it doesn’t log me out.

7. Can we have the hexadecimal lookup back, please? I feel limited to my colours when I want to type in #FF0044 instead of choosing #FF0033 or #FF0066.

Despite the cons outweighing the pros, at least for now, I do like this chat very much and hope to see more improvements made to it as we move forward.
Quill
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: Keep! The! Chat! Reply with quote

Reiko Souma wrote:
Yeah yeah, we’ll get the “long time, no see” stuff dealt with another time...

...thanks to Zack Alcar posting the link to this forum on Facebook, I was able to see and test this new chat for myself. The subject line speaks for itself, and for the following reasons - keep in mind that all of my feedback is based on mobile capabilities and accessibility:

Pros:
1. MOBILE-FRIENDLY. IT’S ABOUT TIME.
~ I was still using my mobile Facebook app when I accessed and logged onto the chat. It displayed a version that’s completely compatible for mobile devices.
~ I then accessed the desktop version of what I’m guessing is the same chat(?) from the RDI website, whilst still using my phone (only I used Safari this time), and was able to log on and experiment with the chat some.

2. When logged on via mobile device, at least with an iPhone (iPhone 7, in my case), I can switch between apps without being logged out. I have yet to find out whether it shows me as away whenever I switch to another app or not.

3. Quicker load times and less chances of a lag, at least for the hour that I was online. This will continue to be tested on my end for a longer period of time in the near future, and this will be edited with more details or an amendment.

4. Mobile users can completely hide the list of people who are in the room in the mobile version only so far, which is a serious advantage considering the size of the screen.

Cons:
1. The emoji keyboard for mobile devices doesn’t work, replacing emoji faces with “????,” which is to be expected...although not favoured, considering I honestly think the stickers are a bit lame. No offence.

2. Whilst the desktop version shows all of the possible rooms one can visit, on the mobile version, only the Lobby and Red Dragon’s Inn rooms are visible.

3. I have not yet tested the scrolling function on the desktop version from my phone, but the mobile version has absolutely no option of scrolling up to see old messages whatsoever.

4. Whilst I’m on the subject of viewing the old messages, the “/back #[of messages]” command didn’t work for me on either mode. I don’t know if it works for anyone else, but at least the “/me” command works, albeit with another kind of lame effect (Reiko Souma: Reiko Souma is tired.). The old chat client was way better with this (Reiko Souma is tired.).

5. The character limit should be increased to 750 or 1,000 at most. I believe I counted 150 characters in my limit for mobile users?

6. Facebook app mode only, and this is more on my end: I keep on accidentally hitting the back arrow when I’m trying to access the menu, which ends up taking me back to my Facebook newsfeed...thankfully it doesn’t log me out.

7. Can we have the hexadecimal lookup back, please? I feel limited to my colours when I want to type in #FF0044 instead of choosing #FF0033 or #FF0066.

Despite the cons outweighing the pros, at least for now, I do like this chat very much and hope to see more improvements made to it as we move forward.

Reiko - just my observations;

P-4: In the desktop version, the user list can also be collapsed. It reduces to a small icon. Very handy if you don't want to see it.

C-2: I'm not sure if others are seeing more than two rooms, but on my desktop there are only two rooms visible. The Lobby and the Red Dragon Inn. Presumably other rooms haven't been added in yet.

C-5: Small disagreement, in that I think the character limit should be enlarged to at least 1k characters. As it currently stands at 129 characters, it's unusable for rp, but the limit in Prochat at... I believe it's 500?... is also very awkwardly small. 1k would be sufficient for most users, I expect. ----- Edit: Character limit has been increased, and it is wonderful.
Amaltea
DM Admin
DM Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changed the text limit to 1024.
Khason
Wyrmling
Wyrmling

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: PM's Reply with quote

Loving the PM feature. It saves history, and you can access the conversation even if the person isn't online anymore, by going to Panels and Private Chat.

There is one thing that people might want to know, though - well, a couple.

You can have more than one name in at once, via two different methods.

1) Log in under one name, log out of forums, log in under another name.

2) Log in using different browsers.

What's important here... is that the chat logs you into the forums when you log in, and apparently the PM system is connected to that. If you use method 2, you have both names logged into the forums via different browsers, and you can get PM's on each name separately.

However, if you use method 1, you only have one of the names you logged in actually logged into the forums as well. This seems to result in any PM's being sent to the name that's logged into the forums. If I have Khason logged into chat, but not the forums, and I have Quill logged into chat AND the forums, any messages to Khason are going to show up on my Quill login. When I reply, it shows as being a reply from Quill. The message that was sent to Khason will continue to look like there's no response from that name.

If you have one name logged into the chat, but not the forums, you get an alert that someone sent you a message. If you click 'Accept', it takes you to the forums to log in.

Hopefully, that was a comprehensible explanation.

I haven't found a way to initiate a PM with someone in another room yet, but if you start it in one room, you keep the PM and all information when you move to a different one. It's really pretty awesome.
Pharlen
Adult Wyrm
Adult Wyrm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this chat!
Amaltea
DM Admin
DM Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest using two different browsers.
Eris
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Character Limit Reply with quote

I definitely agree the character limit needs to be increased. I'm glad to see that's being looked into.
Delahada
Great Wyrm
Great Wyrm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great. I like it. Font uniformity is a beautiful thing. More color options is also a beautiful thing. My only real complaint right now is that it needs more borders. I see the chat scroll up into the Lobby: History link and it's all one color and kind of disconcerting.

Suggestion: If you want more people to test it, maybe put a bold red announcement on the front page of the rdi.dragonsmark forum side of things. I didn't even know this existed until someone else I know who checks these forums more, or was directed to them by someone else, pointed out to me where this thread with the link was.
Pax
Wyrmling
Wyrmling

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played a bit tonight. Mist Gul's name kept doubling up momentarily on the Online list in the Inn, the player doesn't know why - they weren't doing anything that should cause that.

At about 9:00 PM PST, I ran into a problem. I could send gibberish posts and (test) to the chat, but it ate a half dozen efforts at sending an IC post, before a short blurb finally went through. It ate one of Alae's posts at that time, as well. Typing was fine, hit enter, and it just didn't show up in the chat for anyone, including the sender.

Edit to add - when I came to post this, I wasn't signed into the forums any more, but I was still in the chat. I didn't sign myself out, so I'm wondering if the problem might coincide with auto-log-out in the forums.
PrlUnicorn
Ancient Wyrm
Ancient Wyrm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's spellcheck in the text box attached to Chrome's dictionary. Woot! I'll take it!
Quill
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another small issue. If you are in chat, you DO still get timed out in the forums, apparently. Since the Panels settings are linked to the forums, trying to make any changes causes you get get booted out of chat, if you timed out in the forums. You have to log back in and remake the changes for them to go into effect. The only way to know if you've been logged out of the forums is to go check them.
Alae
Wyrmling
Wyrmling

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No issues, just some stuff we've noticed.

So if you're on mobile and switching between apps, it may show you as logged out to others, but when you switch back you won't notice. Also if you put your phone to sleep.

Also! You can be online with the same username on two different devices with no issue. I was on my phone and laptop at the same time. When you log out of one it will blip you off the online list and then you will reappear to others. While I wasn't on the list I was able to see new chat before reappearing.

And yet there is more... So I tested the PM system on my phone while being logged in on my laptop for main chat. It worked! Convenient for talking to a single person in PMs without having to switch back and forth. Nice because my laptop screen is pretty small.
Quill
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This morning, you have to sign into the forums before you can get to the test chat. It just keeps looping you back to the forums otherwise.

Edit - Fixed!
Edit 2 - Broken again!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dragon's Mark Forum Index -> Ask the Staff All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: