Dragon's Mark Home
Dragon's Mark

Welcome, traveler!
( Member login. Not a member? Register here. )

Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Forum Help
Dragon's Mark and the RDI will be merging into one forum. If you are looking for a place to post and play follow this link: Red Dragon Inn

BlaB/Discord Schism.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dragon's Mark Forum Index -> Dragon's Mark Open Discussions & Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andu Kirost
Adult Wyrm
Adult Wyrm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: BlaB/Discord Schism. Reply with quote

This post is partly in response to this Thread.... http://www.ringsofhonor.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t =31316&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0 and partly in repsons to some long term things I see has having fed into what that thread has evolved into being about.

WOW!!
Emotions are running hot and heavy on both sides of this issue it seems. Maybe we should ALL, on both sides, take a step back and remember a couple things.

1. None of us are mind readers, to know what others are thinking.
2. Text is a VERY poor communicator of emotional content with out a LOT of work. No body language, audio tones and all that.

3. As Billy Joel says in "Second Wind"....
"We're only human
We're supposed to make mistakes"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhxjNYvJbgM

Almatea admitted she made a mistake in not realizeing others didn't have the same view that the sites were set up as "DM = Overall Admin", "RDI = RPG and RDI admin", "RoH = RP/Dueling/RoH admin".

And now I suspect she is feeling a bit "under the gun" because of some apparent critizism from before she realized that and appologized.

When things get this heated, that is the time to step back regardless of if you are feeling the heat or not, and take the time to realize others maybe feeling a it a lot more than you realize. Almatea, Xenograg and Kalamere have all put a (CENSORED) lot of work into these sites for us using them. This isn't to lessen the input of others, but much of the work they have done is stuff none of us "Users" (to steal a term from TRON) will ever see except from the GUI side of things.

Want a clue how hard learning programming is from one who flunked out of college trying? It is often harder than trying to learn a new language. Learning a new language all you have to learn is Grammer and Vocabulary. Learning programming you also have to learn the Logic behind the language. Add in making User interfaces, and you have to learn Aesthetics as well. I won't even go into how many different languages those background artists have had to learn over the years to keep this place going.

From what I have seen, they do much work to keep the technical end going, but where the work is

I very much hope we, and by that I mean every single RPer and Dueler on BOTH sides of the Issue can figure out how to at least bridge the chasm that our usual division has become.

I am pretty much as clueless as Andu IC when it comes to RL interpersonal relationships and interacting with others outside of a strictly predetermined set of rules. I have tried to do what I can to "liven up the place" for both sides. I feel I have usually failed miserably when I did, so that is one reason I built up the hoard of Silver Crowns I have stashed on my "Kirost Enterprises" SN, so I can at least "sponsor" the efforts of others who are so much better at that sort of thing.

Almatea, Xenograg, Kalamere and others taking the admin rolls can only do so much, the rest of the success/failure of these, our mutual endeavors comes from Us, the PLayers. While this includes running events, it also includes efforts at keeping the lines of communications open, giving cudos where they are deserved, promoting the sites outside of the sites, and luring more su... er... players into playing with us.

Well, that is my overlong wooden knickles worth of opinions.
Thank you all that managed to wade through to the end of it.

Andu Kirost....
aka, Ronald L Larson Jr. in real life.[/i]
Eric Sanders
Wyrmling
Wyrmling

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, Andu.
Canaan
Ancient Wyrm
Ancient Wyrm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: BlaB/Discord Schism. Reply with quote

Andu Kirost wrote:
Almatea admitted she made a mistake in not realizeing others didn't have the same view that the sites were set up as "DM = Overall Admin", "RDI = RPG and RDI admin", "RoH = RP/Dueling/RoH admin".

And now I suspect she is feeling a bit "under the gun" because of some apparent critizism from before she realized that and appologized.

Well this is very nice to hear. Can you point me to where I can find this?

EDIT: Ignore my above question, because I know which post you're talking about. I realize now, after reading Collie's reply, and upon a reread of your post, that you may need to heed Ms. Collie's advice below. The problem a lot of us are having has just about nothing to do with a "misunderstanding" in where to post announcements.

Last edited by Canaan on Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
PrlUnicorn
Ancient Wyrm
Ancient Wyrm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: BlaB/Discord Schism. Reply with quote

Andu Kirost wrote:

2. Text is a VERY poor communicator of emotional content with out a LOT of work. No body language, audio tones and all that.

I'm not looking to pick a fight with you. You are correct when you say emotions are running high. However, based on the words you have written, you seem to be unaware of a few things that have been discussed at some point in the last week or so. I can't speak for others, but I, for one, would appreciate if you would please fully read the thread you linked to as well as the thread with pages of comments on the Blab chat test where more than one person brings up the glitches in the Blab PM system that would make dueling difficult if not impossible. Is that critical issue fixable? I really don't know, but I do know what it's like to be buried under IMs, be knocked off line, and lose all record of the duels I was calling. Without a fix and PMs cutting out at random like I have experienced, the current volunteers would be facing a similar problem with Blab as it is.
Andu Kirost
Adult Wyrm
Adult Wyrm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: BlaB/Discord Schism. Reply with quote

PrlUnicorn wrote:
Andu Kirost wrote:

I'm not looking to pick a fight with you. You are correct when you say emotions are running high. However, based on the words you have written, you seem to be unaware of a few things that have been discussed at some point in the last week or so. I can't speak for others, but I, for one, would appreciate if you would please fully read the thread you linked to as well as the thread with pages of comments on the Blab chat test where more than one person brings up the glitches in the Blab PM system that would make dueling difficult if not impossible. Is that critical issue fixable? I really don't know, but I do know what it's like to be buried under IMs, be knocked off line, and lose all record of the duels I was calling. Without a fix and PMs cutting out at random like I have experienced, the current volunteers would be facing a similar problem with Blab as it is.

Uhmmm.... I am not taking offense. But I say nothing about BlaB or Discord here. I left that in the thread started for those comments on RoH. Here I placed my thoughts on the more social issues regarding the deepening of the schism between RDI and RoH.

Canaan.....
From Almatea's Post in that other thread on RoH...

Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:46 am
Quote:
Collie is correct and I apologize for not posting here. Somehow I assumed that players checked the forums. But after seeing several comments here and on Discord I see that they are not even bothering.

Granted, the last phrase might have been less agressively written, but it IS an attempt at an apology.

Andu Kirost.
Canaan
Ancient Wyrm
Ancient Wyrm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was editing my post at the same time you were creating another, Andu. I'll just reiterate that that's not the apology most of us is looking for.

Don't you tell me what you think that I could be
I'm the one at the sail, I'm the master of my sea
PrlUnicorn
Ancient Wyrm
Ancient Wyrm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: BlaB/Discord Schism. Reply with quote

Andu Kirost wrote:

Uhmmm.... I am not taking offense. But I say nothing about BlaB or Discord here. I left that in the thread started for those comments on RoH. Here I placed my thoughts on the more social issues regarding the deepening of the schism between RDI and RoH.

Yet, you opened the subject by linking in the first place. Peace out.
Andu Kirost
Adult Wyrm
Adult Wyrm

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings,
I delayed responding to take a breath and re-review things.

Did I miss issues? Yes. I'm only human and can only keep so many things in mind at the front of my mind at one time. And I generally avoid even telling my friends on here some of the.... "Stuff" that I have preying upon my mind.

Yes, Canaan, the apology was for one issue when there are more than one. I mentioned it because it stuck in my mind as one of the few times I've seen ANY ONE, on ANY SIDE of ANY topic apologize for anything. Are more apologies appropriate? Probably. But that seems to be endemic to online communications. I won't say more on this topic, because I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around some of the apparent facts, from BOTH sides of the issue, while not getting "hot under the collar".

PrlUnicorn, I linked that "other" thread as a curtisy, since it is related, but is really a sub-topic to this one. A sub-topic that could be resolved amicably with out appreciably effecting this one if this one itself isn't addressed in-full by all of us.

That said, yeah, I messed up when I chose the title for this thread. "The RDI/RoH/DM Schsim" would probably have been more appropriate a choice.

Andu.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dragon's Mark Forum Index -> Dragon's Mark Open Discussions & Announcements All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: